• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mcro2430

Hello,

I've played a variety of EBMM/Sterling guitars now (Sterling Cutlass, Valentine, AlbertLee, Stingray, JP and EBMM Valentine, Stingray, Silhouette) and I've got my eye on an EBMM Cutlass right now.

I found the Sterling Cutlass neck very, very thin. Probably the thinnest neck I've ever used. Is this the same as the EBMM cutlass? How does it compare to the other guitars I listed above? I've also read that the EBMM cutlass neck is similar to the Stingray neck, but the Sterling cutlass was like half the thickness of the EBMM stingray I owned.

I can't find a local store that has a Cutlass in stock, so I'm about to blindly buy one online but I'm hesitant so I'm asking the experts here.

Side note, but related: One thing I've noticed is some of the Sterling neck profiles are pretty different from their EBMM counterparts. They have different fretboard radius, and the neck profiles feel different. I think it's kind of weird since you'd think if you liked the budget version of a guitar, the EBMM version would be the same instrument just higher quality. In one case, I actually liked the Sterling fretboard radius better (Stingray - 12" vs 10"). I'm curious to know the rationale behind the differences.

Thanks and happy new year

Cutlass Chris

Hi Mate.

I'm afraid I can't answer your query as I only have experience with the Cutlass and don't know what your preferences are etc. But I received my Cutlass a fortnight or so ago and in my experience the neck is by far the nicest I've played. It's just an awesome guitar and for me the neck is one of its greatest assets

I ordered mine online without trying it and the dealer was kind enough to send loads of pictures so I could be sure I was getting the nicely flamed neck that I wanted. If you are going to buy without trying it make sure there is a decent returns policy So if you really don't get on with it you have the option to return. Just my thoughts …

mcro2430

Hi Mate.

I'm afraid I can't answer your query as I only have experience with the Cutlass and don't know what your preferences are etc. But I received my Cutlass a fortnight or so ago and in my experience the neck is by far the nicest I've played. It's just an awesome guitar and for me the neck is one of its greatest assets

I ordered mine online without trying it and the dealer was kind enough to send loads of pictures so I could be sure I was getting the nicely flamed neck that I wanted. If you are going to buy without trying it make sure there is a decent returns policy So if you really don't get on with it you have the option to return. Just my thoughts …

Thanks for the reply! appreciate your input

guitardan

I would tend to think that the Sterling versions are supposed to be different by design otherwise who would buy the real thing. The few Sterlings I've tried, are night and day different than the EBMM models.

spychocyco

I don't know specifically about the Cutlass models, but the neck profiles on the ones that I have compared directly are very different from the Sterlings to the EBMMs. I've never played a an EBMM neck that I disliked, though. (To clarify, I have not played all of them.)

mcro2430

I would tend to think that the Sterling versions are supposed to be different by design otherwise who would buy the real thing. The few Sterlings I've tried, are night and day different than the EBMM models.

Quality of materials, electronics, craftsmanship I would think. Most Squiers and Epiphones are pretty similar to their Fender / Gibson counterparts in design - the difference tends to be features, electronics and craftsmanship. But the raw ingredients of the guitar (neck size, radius, body shape) tend to be very similar to their big brothers.

click track

Hello,
I can't find a local store that has a Cutlass in stock, so I'm about to blindly buy one online but I'm hesitant so I'm asking the experts here.

Every single EBMM I have ever purchased has been on line, as in my area there are no stocking dealers right now. I have never been disappointed in ANYTHING EBMM, each guitar has been amazing. I trust it will go as well with you !!! Post pics when you get it.

Top Bottom