• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Cutlass Chris

Hi All

Recently got myself a firemist Cutlass- arrived with me on 24th December - Merry Christmas me!

What a guitar - it looks and plays amazingly and the neck even smells good too!

Surprised at lack of case candy though. Would have liked a certificate of authenticity but to be honest but i guess there's no easy replication of these guitars.

A couple of quick questions! …
The dealer sent me a box of EB Regular slinky strings with the guitar- which is awesome of them but I think the cutlass is strung with something different? Is it hybrid slinky? If so, what is the difference?

Also how does the trem bar fit in? I thought it just clicks in but it doesn't seem to want to do this. Admittedly I'm not putting it under too much pressure but I feel I'm giving it enough. Should it just push in?
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 228

beej

Wow! What a neck! That's a stunner.

Not sure what it's strung with ... someone else can probably weigh in. As far as the bar is concerned, yeah, you just have to push it in.

GWDavis28

Wow welcome and great first post, Beej you right damn that's a neck.

Congrats and Enjoy, Glenn |B)

Fro

I’m pretty sure the Cutlass comes strung with MSteels. I prefer the Slinky’s with mine.

jones4tone

Congrats on the new Cutlass, and welcome to the forum! I had forgotten that M-Steel was the standard spec on the Cutlass. The regular Hybrid Slinkys are great on it, too. The hybrids (of either type) have the plain strings you'd get in a set of 9s, and the wound strings you'd get in a set of 10s.

The standard run instruments don't come with a certificate of any kind. If you purchase a BFR series, those do come with one, and other special runs do as well.

You can see when your guitar was completed and such by entering your serial number here.

Enjoy the new guitar!

banjoplayer

very nice guitar, congrats.
I believe a certificate of authenticity only comes with BFR and similar models. Can´t remember seeing one at regular models

fogman

That guitar look awful. You should get rid of it and send it to me immediately. ;)

Cutlass Chris

Thanks all for your responses they've been really helpful and complimentary.

I now have the trem bar in place - it required a bit of pressure but I now know what it takes to site it. Is it ok to store the guitar in the case with the bar left in or is it good practice to remove it before storage?

I have a further quick question and would appreciate your experience. The dealer sent me 6 packs of regular slinky strings with the guitar which was great of them but I now want to sell as the guitar is currently strung with hybrids which I'm really enjoying. What would be a fair resale value for 6 packs of EB Slinkys?

I'm blown away by this guitar and have been cuddling it on the sofa all night! (I also can't stop smelling the roasted neck - does anyone else find the neck to have a really beautifully distinctive smell? Perhaps it's just me!)

It sure is an incredible guitar and it seems to get better and better. It plays so easily and is just so tactile I don't want to put it down (apart from when I put it across the room so I can stare at it for a while!) it's hard to describe but It genuinely seems to want me to hit the right notes and I believe I'm playing much better with it.

I'm finding that Im dialling down the tone control on all pickups to say 6/7 as its quite bright on 10- now I'm getting used to doing that (I don't on my strat or tele) I'm finding it's giving me great versatility and tone options. I also find the volume control is really effective in cleaning up the tone which I'm really enjoying. I'm reaching for the amp less and controlling the sound much more from the guitar.

Also I have dialled in some great high gain tones for this guitar which I couldn't tolerate before because of all the hiss and noise coming from the amp. With the silent circuit it is so quiet it has given my amp a new lease of life too...

Can you tell I'm in love with this guitar!!?

Right, gotta go and jam over another backing track……!

Top Bottom