• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

billpepper82

how different are ss frets?
how much should it cost?
should I even do it?
What all should I know?

Got some extra cash and thinking of maybe upgrading to stainless steel frets on my Benji Madden sig the frets need to be polished next string change and was thinking maybe ss frets would be cool? would Music Man do it or do I take it to a luthier how do I go about doing so ?

LordRiffenstein

SS frets are noticeably different, they're much smoother feeling. They're harder too. I can't say what a price would be but generally speaking they are more expensive because they are much harder on luthier tools. That said I can see some people preferring nickle frets. In my opinion if you're happy with how your guitar is its not worth the cost of re fretting. If you already need a refret then it may be worth it.

tl:dr ss frets are smoother and will not wear down. probably not dramatic enough of change to warrant a refret imo

jones4tone

how different are ss frets?
how much should it cost?
should I even do it?
What all should I know?

Got some extra cash and thinking of maybe upgrading to stainless steel frets on my Benji Madden sig the frets need to be polished next string change and was thinking maybe ss frets would be cool? would Music Man do it or do I take it to a luthier how do I go about doing so ?

EBMM do refret work, but my understanding is they will only put on what the instrument originally had, so if you want SS, you'll have to have it done elsewhere. Personally, I love SS frets for their smoothness and durability.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I love SS frets. Some say that tonally, they are neutral to *slightly* brighter but the smoothness and increase in longevity is easily worth the extra cost (which if you think of it spread out over the 20 years the SS frets will last makes it a worthwile investment, IMHO).

If you have the funds, and the existing frets needs are getting worn, do it, you won't regret it.

beej

I love SS frets too. But if your frets are large and in good shape, I don't think it's worth doing just for the feel.

If you need to do fretwork anyway or want to change fretwire size I would seriously consider it. Many places do it these days, so it's not like it's an oddball request from a good luthier.

spychocyco

EBMM do refret work, but my understanding is they will only put on what the instrument originally had, so if you want SS, you'll have to have it done elsewhere. Personally, I love SS frets for their smoothness and durability.

That is correct. I wanted SS frets on a JP6 that I bought that turned out to have quite a bit of undisclosed fret wear. It was a no-go.

I'll go with the majority in saying that I love SS frets. They're super smooth. But if your current frets are in good shape, probably not worth the cost of a refret. Based on prices I got for my JP6, you're probably looking at around $300 minimum, but there's not really a "standard." I got a $200-plus swing from highest to lowest quote.

vuduhwy

I can confirm that EBMM will only put back on what the guitar was fretted with when it was manufactured.

PeteDuBaldo

That is correct. I wanted SS frets on a JP6 that I bought that turned out to have quite a bit of undisclosed fret wear. It was a no-go.

I'll go with the majority in saying that I love SS frets. They're super smooth. But if your current frets are in good shape, probably not worth the cost of a refret. Based on prices I got for my JP6, you're probably looking at around $300 minimum, but there's not really a "standard." I got a $200-plus swing from highest to lowest quote.

That's what to expect in my area as well, $300-400 for a refret with stainless. I don't do fret replacements here but know a few local guys who do!

Top Bottom