• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bbjonz

Hi All,

Picked up a 2004 Silo Special SSS on Reverb. What makes it really cool is that it has a rosewood board and hardtail. Seems a different beast from my Silo Standard (also rosewood, hardtail) because of the 22-fret board--feels a bit more conventional, which is good.

It arrived with a "dead" front pickup and no battery for the SS. So I put a battery in to no avail and then removed the pickguard to wiggle some wires. That did the trick but I'm not quite sure what the problem is and whether it will last. Thoughts?

Joe

ytrynwto6ty0eszpq832.jpg

beej

Nice! I had one ages ago in Rolls Burgundy. Great guitar.

Unfortunately there's no way to know what the pickup issue is without looking at it (and it depends where you wiggled it). The good news is it's probably just a bad solder connection,or a break in the wire somewhere that's easily replaceable, since the connection is intermittent.

The battery is just for noise reduction, so no big deal that it didn't have one.

If you're not handy with a soldering iron, have a tech look at it. Shouldn't cost you much.

Stratty316

Congrats, love the color combo. The Silhouette Special is an amazing guitar. It's quickly become one of my favorite guitars to play. Your tech should have it solved in no time.

GWDavis28

Cool, nice snag, I have 2 Silo Specials and really love them!!!

Enjoy, Glenn |B)

bbjonz

Thanks, All. Here's a shot of the EBMM part of the rack. The AL HH in front kills--stainless steel frets installed by a previous owner. The rest will get that same treatment as the need arises.

Joe

VCf9yHFm.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Assuming the wiring hasn't been messed it'll be an esay job to diagnose and fix. If there is more work to do, a schematic will be helpful. I don't have a Silo SSS wiring schematic I can send you but get in touch with Customer Service and ask them to send the right one for the year of your guitar (there have been three changes over the last decade). It will probably be very similar to the Albert Lee SSS and 3xMM90 schematics which also have the silent circuit.

Top Bottom