• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Paulg2uk

Hi guys ,

I hope you are all well. Happy new year as well. I think I’ve got a problem with the truss rod on my cutlass RS HSS.

I think it might have seized up and got stuck. I’ve tried to adjust it just a small amount and it moves ever so slightly clockwise and counterclockwise about half a turn but if I want to try and move it more than that it won’t budge. I didn’t want to force it. It feels like I’m gonna break my Allen key if I try and move it anymore.

Have you guys had this before?

Any ideas what to try? Do you think it needs looking at?

Many thanks

Paul

GWDavis28

Have you contacted customer Service yet? Is it still under warranty?

Glenn |B)

Paulg2uk

Have you contacted customer Service yet? Is it still under warranty?

Glenn |B)

Hi Glenn,

I don't think it is under warranty I bought it back in 2018 but I can't remember the month I got it. Manufacture date was 21st of May 2018.

Yes I emailed them earlier today and also emailed my dealer so I should hopefully hear something tomorrow.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If you are still under warranty, let the store you bought from take care of it. If you break it, you're out of luck. If they break it, it's a warranty repair at their cost. Personally, I have dealt with guitars with very stiff/tight truss rods, which in itself does not a problem but the force required for adjusting can be a little worrying!

Don't attempt to tighten until you loosen first.

Use the longest tool you can for more torque. But watch out, cheap allen keys may bend or break easily. (The allen keys in my EB tool kit are strong and long, I also have a precision screwdriver that fits well and is long enough).

The largest tool that will fit the hole is 3 mm diameter (but my 1/8" allen key will not).

Edit: In Europe you have a minimum of 2 year warranty. If the guitar is good condition with no obvious signs of abuse this should be a warranty repair/replacement by the stores distributors, assuming the store cannot fix it themselves.

Last edited:

Paulg2uk

If you are still under warranty, let the store you bought from take care of it. If you break it, you're out of luck. If they break it, it's a warranty repair at their cost. Personally, I have dealt with guitars with very stiff/tight truss rods, which in itself does not a problem but the force required for adjusting can be a little worrying!

Don't attempt to tighten until you loosen first.

Use the longest tool you can for more torque. But watch out, cheap allen keys may bend or break easily. (The allen keys in my EB tool kit are strong and long, I also have a precision screwdriver that fits well and is long enough).

The largest tool that will fit the hole is 3 mm diameter (but my 1/8" allen key will not).

Edit: In Europe you have a minimum of 2 year warranty. If the guitar is good condition with no obvious signs of abuse this should be a warranty repair/replacement by the stores distributors, assuming the store cannot fix it themselves.

Thanks Kev, I'll wait to see what my dealer says. I am in the UK so you never know it might have the longer warranty on it. I'll keep you all in the loop.

It plays fine, I was re stringing this morning for a gig over the weekend and noticed it wouldn't budge I managed to adjust it so it was playable but it still needs a little bit more of an adjustment. I did end up breaking my high E string while doing that and I did notice it wasn't staying in tune. I put another one on and it's staying in tune now but I'd rather not take the risk at the gig.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Did it move easily before? Can you loosen it a lot? Probably best to take it to a tech.

For me, I had a really stiff adjustment nut on a brand new bass. I backed it out enough that I could put in some graphite between the nut and the plastic washer and the wood. It moved much more easily after that.

Paulg2uk

Did it move easily before? Can you loosen it a lot? Probably best to take it to a tech.

For me, I had a really stiff adjustment nut on a brand new bass. I backed it out enough that I could put in some graphite between the nut and the plastic washer and the wood. It moved much more easily after that.

It did move before so I reckon it's happened recently. It's usually my main guitar I gig with but I've been using something else the last few gigs. I recently decided to re string and use it again. I've been playing it at home and it's playing great.

I hope it can be fixed. Hopefully I'll hear something today.

Paulg2uk

Update for you all. The warranty on my Cutlass ran out dec 2019 but the UK distributor Strings And Things said they will honour the warranty on it and take a look at my truss rod. I thought that was really nice of them. Just trying to sort out collection of the guitar to my dealer and then it will be sent in to be looked at.

I'll post any further updates when they've had a look at it.

threeminutesboy

Update for you all. The warranty on my Cutlass ran out dec 2019 but the UK distributor Strings And Things said they will honour the warranty on it and take a look at my truss rod. I thought that was really nice of them. Just trying to sort out collection of the guitar to my dealer and then it will be sent in to be looked at.

I'll post any further updates when they've had a look at it.

Good stuff!

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

Update for you all, James at Strings and Things in the UK managed to check out my truss on my Cutlass. It was indeed stuck and they've managed to loosen it off and it's all working correctly now. Glad it didn't need to be replaced. I even got a free setup as well. Great service and very helpful.

Will give it a play tonight when I get in from work.

Paulg2uk

Did you guys see the Blue Magic HSS BFR Cutlass? It looks awesome! Sound Affects just got one in and I'm really tempted.

Paulg2uk

The real problem here is we don't have pics of your guitar to drool over. :)

Lol sorry about that here's some pics of my HSS Charcoal Frost enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 228

TripHazard

Did you guys see the Blue Magic HSS BFR Cutlass? It looks awesome! Sound Affects just got one in and I'm really tempted.

Yeah, I saw that. As tempting as it is though, i think I’m set on a stingray of some sought for my next purchase - but that won’t be till end of the year probably. Big life changes occurring at the moment with work, house renovation etc - a constant drain on funds. I’ve still got a real soft spot for the first two BFR cutlass that were ever released - the natural and the gold, so if one of them came up used at a good price comes years end....

Paulg2uk

That combo is still classy as all hell!

Thanks Chris, I was thinking of parting with it for the BFR but I don't think I will now as I love the neck on my charcoal frost. Plus it sounds awesome!

There was a guy in the US who wanted to swap his BFR Cutlass Gold for a Majesty. I would of done the trade if he lived in the UK.

Last edited:

TripHazard

Thanks Chris, I was thinking of parting with it for the BFR but I don't think I will now as I love the neck on my charcoal frost. Plus it sounds awesome!

There was a guy in the US who wanted to swap his BFR Cutlass Gold for a Majesty. I would of done the trade if the he lived in the UK.

Man so would I! That Malibu gold is one of my great purchase regrets. Alas, I wouldn’t have had Majesty to trade

Top Bottom