• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Exodus5

So I have seen many pre-2000 Axis/EVH guitars that have faded over time. I also noticed back in 2012 that the Axis tribute models always appeared lighter and then faded too. It seems like between those times (and, in fact, ever since) the Axis transparent colors have been much darker. I have seen several dark blue/purple Axis guitars where you almost couldn't even see the figure of the top. Was this a response to the fading of the colors previously? Do these colors eventually fade also? I honestly would like my Purple Axis to fade a bit. You have to put it in bright light just to see the top.

spychocyco

My 2007 blue is fairly dark (the pic in my profile used a lot of flash to bring out the top) and has no fading. If I recall correctly, I think the fading was related to the stain that was used on those earlier models.

Stratty316

Correct, I have a 2000 Trans Green Axis that has a nice dark top. I believe it was about the time they switched from hand staining to spraying the finish. I am glad my green hasn't faded... but the early blue and purples look amazing in the lighter colors that have faded a bit.

Exodus5

Here you can see on mine...it has a nice quilted top, but it’s hidden by this SUPER dark purple transparent paint.
Flickr
Flickr

I am not slamming EBMM, just wondering why they kept such dark “transparent” colors?

tbonesullivan

I am not slamming EBMM, just wondering why they kept such dark “transparent” colors?
Some REALLY like that deep color purple. And if you are on stage, under the lights, that would make it POP. A lighter purple might look pink on stage.

spychocyco

I tend to prefer the darker colors myself. It does hide a little bit of the quilt, but I'm just a darker person kind of guy. :D

cbad335

Although I'm not the original owner and can't give a comparison to what it was like 23 years ago, my '97 trans red Axis hardtail is pretty dark. It's a dark red/blood red, yet I can still see the figuring in normal/indoor light.

Stratty316

Although I'm not the original owner and can't give a comparison to what it was like 23 years ago, my '97 trans red Axis hardtail is pretty dark. It's a dark red/blood red, yet I can still see the figuring in normal/indoor light.

The red EVH/Axis guitars were not really known to fade. The Sunburst and Trans Gold colors held up well too. The Purple was the worst of all the colors as far as fading went.

cbad335

The red EVH/Axis guitars were not really known to fade. The Sunburst and Trans Gold colors held up well too. The Purple was the worst of all the colors as far as fading went.

What about headstocks? I've noticed that the headstock on my red Axis is a lighter shade red than the body. Since the guitar is new to me, I'm not sure if the headstock has faded, or wether it's always been that way.

danielbravo

Wow, I really like the color of this top. It really is so dark that it seems solid. But it looks pretty good

Top Bottom