• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Kvolkan

I recently got an used Armada which I absolutely love. However the previous owner swapped out the bridge pickup and lost the original PU. I called EBMM see about buying a replacement PU but they refused to sell me one unless I sent in the original (which seemed very petty to me). I’m pretty disappointed with EBMM especially since the armada is such a great guitar.

In any case the armada pickup has the 3 screw design like the bass pickups and most standard humbucker are 4 screw and won’t fit the armada. The new Pu in the guitar is just sort of stuck in there. Anyone know of any pickups it’s the 3 screw design that would fit? Anyone have an Armada PU they want to sell? Any help appreciated.

jones4tone

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Armada!

EBMM have developed a number of custom pickups and circuits over time, and they want them to be exclusive to their instruments. They are consistent about their policies regarding sale of those parts, which requires the return of the original before a replacement is sent. (I’ve had to do it myself.) You’ve not been singled out for harsh treatment, it’s just what thestaff has been told to enforce. It’s a bummer the seller didn’t include the stock pickups in the sale, though.

Enjoy your new guitar!

threeminutesboy

In any case the armada pickup has the 3 screw design like the bass pickups and most standard humbucker are 4 screw and won’t fit the armada. The new Pu in the guitar is just sort of stuck in there. Anyone know of any pickups it’s the 3 screw design that would fit? Anyone have an Armada PU they want to sell? Any help appreciated.

not sure I understand what you are saying here :) I think you confuse the pickup ring and the pickup itself. Any humbucker from any brand will fit, just decide which one you like and maybe ask EBMM what is the closest to the original

good luck with your quest and congrats on the Armada

tbonesullivan

Yeah, it's a bezel that surrounds the pickup. You should be able to fit just about anything in there. Still not sure why people are so keen on tossing stock pickups. They were custom voiced to work with that guitar and be versatile, but some guys always gotta put in "better" pickups.

PeteDuBaldo

The pickup rings on my reflex look like this. I think they´re the same
View attachment 36244 View attachment 36245

Yes, they are indeed the same style mounting ring!

Here's the underside of an Armada pickup

ArmadaBridge.jpg

Kvolkan

Thank you so much! I'm such an idiot i didn't realize the pickups could be mounted like this. I didn't take the neck pickup off and the bridge was just sort of stuffed in there.

Got a custom made Odezza pickup in the bridge position now, all buttoned up and sounding awesome.

Kvolkan

I got mine that way. The replacement that was there was a PRS SE pickup which was baffling. It sounded OK but not great. I had John at Odezza pickups custom make a pickup that sounds pretty close to the original. He does great work by the way.

A lot of guys, myself included don't need the guitar to be versatile, but instead want to get that one sound that is ion our heads.

Kvolkan

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Got it all figured out now and the new pickup mounted nicely.

Top Bottom