• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MassEducation22

Hey all!

I'm just wondering if Carnauba Dunlop 65 guitar wax is actually safe to polish on my St. Vincent HHH, which has a poly finish only on the body of the guitar?

If not, what is an alternative product that you can use to "wax" with? Since I already have a polish, or will a polish do?

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Polyurethane and polyester are pretty much impervious to things like water, chemicals, etc. There should be no issue at all using any commercially available guitar waxes on the body.

MassEducation22

Polyurethane and polyester are pretty much impervious to things like water, chemicals, etc. There should be no issue at all using any commercially available guitar waxes on the body.

Also! Can Montan wax work? If so, which one would be better to use? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

MassEducation22

Given how durable the poly coat is, why would you want to wax the finish at all?

Okay, so I was reading this website online, that cleaning and polishing are not the final steps on a guitar, but rather waxing adds the extra protection on it. So I was getting kind of confused?

And if I will be using the Dunlop 65 Carnauba wax, will that sand the guitar? Is it abrasive? Or just clean and polish it?

Thanks!

MassEducation22

tbonesullivan

It kinda seems like you have a basic misunderstanding of what Wax is. It's like the Wax you put on cars. It goes over the finish, makes it waterproof, and makes it slippery and gleaming.

What exactly are you trying to do to the finish on the guitar? Is there finish damage? Do you have "swirlies" and such in the finish?

MassEducation22

Yes, I kinda do have a misunderstanding of the wax... Lol.

Well, my guitar has scratches and that (but no major cracks or yellowing). So I was wondering if either guitar Dunlop Montan wax or Carnauba wax will cover that scratches or will that scratch the guitar even further? And what's the difference between the two?

Or for now, just a cleaner & polisher will do without the the wax part?

MassEducation22

It kinda seems like you have a basic misunderstanding of what Wax is. It's like the Wax you put on cars. It goes over the finish, makes it waterproof, and makes it slippery and gleaming.

What exactly are you trying to do to the finish on the guitar? Is there finish damage? Do you have "swirlies" and such in the finish?

Yes, I kinda do have a misunderstanding of the wax... Lol.

Well, my guitar has scratches and that (but no major cracks or yellowing). So I was wondering if either guitar Dunlop Montan wax or Carnauba wax will cover that scratches or will that scratch the guitar even further? And what's the difference between the two?

Or for now, just a cleaner & polisher will do without the the wax part?

Top Bottom