• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Cenobyte

So I just purchased this wonderful item online, first time I've ever done that, the dealer may be the only one in Canada who actually had this (and the Blue Magic Cutlass) in stock... I battled hard between which one to get, but in the end a sparkle guitar will always win!

Reality is I already have a Cutlass SSS, which covers my Str*t needs, and my main/gigging guitar is my trusty ol' Albert Lee HH... I figured this would be an easy one to swap to on a gig by gig basis... I tend to use mostly Positions 1, 3 and 5 on the ALHH anyway. I'm hoping this will give me slightly more vintage, Les Paul like tones as well. The other connection is my solo music stuff back in the day was called "Atomic Spider"... this guitar is "Atomic Orange"... nice coincidence. Plus, I mean, just look at this thing!! :D

I'll post pics of the guitar once I have it in hand but I'm including a few of the dealer shots for now... OMG I can't waiiiitttt.

Attachments

• seuc8m2yojjwmiozn2r3.jpg
    seuc8m2yojjwmiozn2r3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 262
  • g5xxagdmbioqpk9pmf2i.jpg
    g5xxagdmbioqpk9pmf2i.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 325
  • e19yhgniuvgnceopry8g.jpg
    e19yhgniuvgnceopry8g.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 214
  • rkdegus6kwlik6aeeoxf.jpg
    rkdegus6kwlik6aeeoxf.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 222
  • i9rvchhqeg726jkdz9me.jpg
    i9rvchhqeg726jkdz9me.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

GWDavis28

Nice congrats that is a real looker and I've been eyeing them myself, but I've got enough (Said no one ever!!!), Hahhahahahahahaha

Enjoy, Glenn |B)

coreytree

Beautiful "mother of bass boat" deep, sparkly finish! And it is indeed atomically orange!

Cenobyte

Thanks folks, I'm sure it'll be 3-4 times more stunning in person as they always are! I got my shipping notice this morning, it's-a-gunna be good! :D.

Sidenote: It's funny, the Atomic Orange colour reminded me of those metallic orange Corvettes you used to see around 10-15 years ago... looked it up, those were also Atomic Orange, slightly less sparkle quotient, more metallic... but fun that I kind of nailed it in my head.

In hand pics to follow asap!

tbonesullivan

Man... those are just such great looking guitars. Part of me really wants to pick up a stingray of some color in 2020, and sell off a bunch of "other" guitars. Now if only they had one in a great emerald green sparkle. I NEED A GREEN GUITAR.

Cenobyte

Maybe I'll ask this here actually, I was under the assumption that this Sringray BFR used an Okoume body, on the BFR page, on the MM website, mentions below one of the images: "Dual humbucking light weight Okoume body with exclusive Atomic Orange sparkle finish."

I don't think I've seen a dealer with this guitar listed for sale, including the place I bought it from, who doesn't have it listed as having a "High-quality African mahogany body" or similar wording. Sometimes this is mixed in with what looks like official descriptions of the guitar... including all the main guitar sales places in the states. The SN info doesn't give body wood info for me.

So which is it Okoume or African Mahogany? :)

bgreen44

Okoume, Congrats on the NGD !!!! These are Ball Family Reserve Guitars. There were only 51 made world wide. Fantastic Guitar!!! How do I know ? I am lucky enough to own #2 of 51 made. see post below NGD Atomic Orange. Mine has a great flame neck.

bgreen44

Pictures;

Attachments

• 7AB077F0-91E6-4028-98FB-8145AEF837CE.jpg
    7AB077F0-91E6-4028-98FB-8145AEF837CE.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 225
  • FE2B61A8-3871-4FCF-A533-78429E280E92_jpeg.jpg
    FE2B61A8-3871-4FCF-A533-78429E280E92_jpeg.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 83E5E1D1-9185-4FDA-9BDD-2AA8D185B83C_jpeg.jpg
    83E5E1D1-9185-4FDA-9BDD-2AA8D185B83C_jpeg.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 173

Cenobyte

Okoume, Congrats on the NGD !!!! These are Ball Family Reserve Guitars. There were only 51 made world wide. Fantastic Guitar!!! How do I know ? I am lucky enough to own #2 of 51 made. see post below NGD Atomic Orange. Mine has a great flame neck.

Awesome, congrats to you as well, looks great!! Looks like I'll get mine Monday, it's goin' to be a longggg weekend! lol

I have 30 of 51 :)

It's odd that all resellers are listing it as a "High-quality African mahogany body", wonder how that happened!

tbonesullivan

Okoume is technically not a "true" mahogany. They are members of the same order, but the true Mahoganies are all members of the Meliaceae family, while Okoume is a member of the Burseraceae family.

There are members of the Mahogany family in Africa, but Okoume isn't one of them.

However, that doesn't mean that it isn't a VERY NICE tonewood, which it is. As the traditional tonewoods become harder and harder to source due to cost, deforestation, and competition with the Asian furniture market, we'll be seeing more of these less traditional woods.

Top Bottom