• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

atomheart

So I've been dreaming about a purple Axis for some time, but apparently they're very rare, especially here in Yurop. I was wondering, how difficult would it be to refinish a red Axis, only the top, like, withing the cream binding, to transparent purple..? Is it feasible, is it a no-no..?:confused:

spychocyco

Not impossible, but definitely not easy. There was a guy on the EBMM owners FB group who repaired and refinished an Axis that got busted up in a home break-in. It came out looking pretty good, but it was quite a task. You might take a look at what he did. Not for the faint of heart, and probably pretty expensive to have a professional handle.

There are a couple of purple ones available on Reverb at the moment. I think they're in the US, but you might be able to work out shipping. Warranty is going to be long gone on any purple one other than the recent Music Zoo limited run anyway.

tbonesullivan

Remember, the axis has a matching headstock usually, and refinishing JUST the top of a guitar is often harder than refinishing the whole thing.

Finding a purple axis used will probably be easier in the long run.

atomheart

Hm ok, I thought this would be a straightforward and small job, apparently I was wrong. The purple ones I'm seeing on Reverb in the US are either the BFR ones with cream binding (meh!) or super expensive, 1600-2200USD? Shipping and import fees don't make it any cheaper. :^) I guess I'll wait...

Thanks for the input, guys!

Stratty316

It can be done. A good luthier can do it... I would reach out to Marty Bell as this seems right up his alley...

Slick64

Anyone ever color change a trans EBMM finish with Marty? I have a roasted amber quilt top, I'm thinking of going trans pink or lava burst on?

GWDavis28

Anyone ever color change a trans EBMM finish with Marty? I have a roasted amber quilt top, I'm thinking of going trans pink or lava burst on?

That might look kind of cool. Lots of people rave about his jobs.

Good luck, if you do it can't wait to see it. Glenn |B)

hbucker

If it's a solid color it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to strip and repaint. If it's a trans, stained quilt/flame top, I'd guess it would be very difficult. - Gotta get that stain out that has soaked into the wood.

Not impossible. But unlikely that you really want to even try, IMO.

Top Bottom