• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

Ok so this year hasn’t really gotten off to the great start I’d of hoped. For the first time in longer than I can remember I’m completely 100% band less, even the jam band I did with friends just for the fun of it has called it a day.
I’ve got adverts up in all the usual places, few replies but nothing got my attention so far. Something will come along but for now it’s safe to say I’m sulking. Perhaps a bit more than I should be.

So the question is what to do with the down time in regards to making me a better bass player when motivation and enthusiasm to open a case and play is at an all time low. ?
All suggestions welcome. (Apart from buying a new EBMM to cheer me up I’m at a bit of a loss)

Cheers
Dan

Samoht

I caught a few truefire bass lessons for $5 each and starting working through those. I like the challenge of trying to take bits and pieces of styles I don’t play and incorporate those into my playing.

danny-79

I caught a few truefire bass lessons for $5 each and starting working through those. I like the challenge of trying to take bits and pieces of styles I don’t play and incorporate those into my playing.

Cheers I’ll look into that, there are a few online lessons but never really clicked with any of them but definitely worth revisiting

brash47

I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

danny-79

I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

I’ll check it out, thank you

Edit: just found a used copy off Amazon so ordered it

Last edited:

DrMatthewCross

Hey Danny, since you can really focus on one aspect of playing (at least for a short while) I'd suggest checking Janek Gwizala out.

+1.
Janek is extremely passionate and meticolous about every aspect of practice. I bought 2 books from him and they're really good.
However, I strongly suggest you to join a band, create your own or start a solo project, so you can apply to music what you learn during practice time. I think playing actual music is the best way to keep yourself motivated.
About practice in general, I know I'm a strange guy, but to me technical practice is one of the funniest things about playing. I like to spend hours watching TV shows or movies while practicing scales, arpeggios and all that stuff. I like repetition, I like the moment when you realize you're able to do something that you couldn't do before. That's motivating, but it must be applied to music at some point or it can be pointless.

Fro

Re-read the OP, he is without a band for the first time and has downtime to fill with practice.

DrMatthewCross

I've read the thread carefully and I know he's an experienced player. I suggested plenty of good stuff to practice with, if practice is what he wants to do for now.
I just suggested to also apply that practice to actual music to keep himself motivated, because I think it's the best way.

Last edited:

danny-79

Or, we start a collab circle:D

A wahdewah circle? Lol :p

Just been chopping wood all morning. Great for frustration and now got plenty of fire wood but inspired to sit down and play, learn something new..... motivation is at an all time low.
Had a few messages regarding new bands, couple are interesting but nothing wow factor but then again could just me me !
Procrastination at its finest !
I’m going for a pint with the intention of coming back and doing some practice, not lighting fire with all this freshly chopped wood and putting tv on and having a 5minzzzz.

Place your bets ! :confused::rolleyes::eek::(

danny-79

Re-read the OP, he is without a band for the first time and has downtime to fill with practice.

I've read the thread carefully and I know he's an experienced player. I suggested plenty of good stuff to practice with, if practice is what he wants to do for now.
I just suggested to also apply that practice to actual music to keep himself motivated, because I think it's the best way.

Cheers guys appreciate the input, it’s really just lack of inspiration to get the motivation to pick a bass or a guitar even up and do anything with it, fear of going stagnant. Back to the top of the list

scottbass71

That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory

danny-79

That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory

Got my copy in the post this morning, (been charged twice by Amazon so prob got a second copy on its way too ?!?!?!).
52x different exercises, one a week. Seems like a plan. Use it as a warm up before starting on new stuff. Couple of bands caught my attention so busy transcribing now

brash47

👍👍👍
You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Monahan

A lot of good stuff here; I really appreciate this thread!

The way I've dealt with the low motivation/inspiration problem happens naturally; I will leave the bass in its case, and spend more time in my woodshop where I continue to create, but with a different medium-- wood. After a week or two I'll hear a song on the radio ("Who Can It Be Now?" was the latest) and find a burst of motivation to spend time with my bass, working out the tune. For me this happens in waves.

However, to sit down & practice sticking to a set schedule... well that's a different story. It's like going to the gym-- it requires you to develop the habit of going, then sticking to it even when you don't feel like it. When you're on the other side, you're glad you muscled though it.

That kind of practice is something that I've not been doing lately, but know I should be. AND that's where this thread comes in-- :D

danny-79

������
You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Thanks again for the heads up, it’s a pretty good book. Between that and the transcribing I’m getting back on track. Using the book to kick the session of with, then onto new tracks

Top Bottom