• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Cutlass Chris

Hi All
Just wondering what people do to clean/maintain new Music Man guitars particularly the roasted maple neck and fret board? Also what products are safe and effective?

I'm absolutely in love with my new cutlass and want to keep it in the best condition!

Thanks all
Chris

Cenobyte

Hey, congrats on the new Cutlass, I also love mine and do my best to keep it looking zexy! :)

My Cutlass is a 2017 model so it has the ultra-light satin polyurethane finish on the back of it... for that I just use a microfiber cloth with a bit of guitar polish since it isn't a wax finish, and then use Ernie Ball fretboard conditioner 'wonder wipes' for the fretboard, usually a few times a year for every guitar. I do this when the strings are off (between changes) and I let the conditioner sit for 15 mins or so before going over it with a cloth to remove the excess.

On necks with a wax/oil finish I use a dab of something called Smith Classic Wax Polish, a Bees wax/Lemon oil combo, on the back of the neck once a year or so when cleaning the guitar, along with the EB fretboard conditioner for the board as mentioned above! Otherwise I just use finish spray for the body, EB also has it's own version of that. I suggest buying a couple boxes of the fretboard conditioner and then perhaps a couple of combo packs to try the other wipes they sell. Either way it can all be found via this link: Instrument Care | Ernie Ball

Last edited:

Stratty316

Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. I have used it on all my EBMM’s for years. It really makes the roasted necks look amazing while keeping them perfectly oiled. I wipe it on, let it sit for a minute then wipe it off with a soft towel.

PeterVV

Wonder Wipes are recommended for use on the roasted maple neck and fret board as they contain lemon oil. On the body, use anything as its poly so impossible to damage with cleaning products.

spychocyco

I wipe with Wonder Wipes at every string change, same process as Stratty -- let it sit a minute and wipe off.

Once in a blue moon (maybe every other year or so), I'll work the neck lightly with Scotch-Brite and re-apply the B-C gunstock oil and wax -- wipe on, wipe off, don't let it sit long. Be sure your neck is the unfinished variety before you do that, though. That will ruin the satin finish, which just needs a dry cloth. If you're not certain, I'd ask CS.

That said, I also let my '07 Axis go for a very long time without doing the wax and oil treatment because I was afraid I'd mess something up, and I had no real ill effects from it. It just feels nice when you freshen it up.

Phrankenstrat

I've been using EB Wonder Wipes quite successfully. Recently though, my 2018 LIII neck has gotten slightly sticky (the guitar has seen many miles and stages). I took 0000 steel wool very lightly to it then hit with carnauba wax. Right as rain again. I also use steel wool and carnauba on my satin necks and it works very well. Carnauba wax is a godsend for guitars. Keeps hardware looking pristine as well, even gold hardware.

Top Bottom