• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bedop

I'm looking for an axis but I can't find any in the $500-$700 range.

Stratty316

I'm looking for an axis but I can't find any in the $500-$700 range.

You will be hard pressed to find a standard Axis in that price range that isn’t beat up and needs a lot of work. Sometimes you can find hidden gems at GC Used or at a Pawnshop. If you don’t need a Floyd Rose or a maple top look for an Axis Sport... occasionally they can be found near the top of your range in decent shape. I have one, ash body, maple neck and vintage trem. It’s every bit as good as my standard Axis. One of EBMM’s most underrated guitars.

In the 500-700 range you can also look for a Sterling AX40 or AX40D. It’s the import version of the Axis and a great guitar as well. The AX40D comes with the same Dimarzio Pickups as the EBMM guitar.

Last edited:

xjbebop

what Stratty said... in that budget range you're looking at Sterlings... which are great guitars in their own right, and you should be able to find some of them in the $500 range.

Stratty316

you can also look for the newly divorced wife selling guitars for what their ex-husband told them they paid for the guitar...

spychocyco

That's a tall order, but if you find a place, let the rest of us know about it. :D

Your best bet in that price range is probably to look for a Sterling AX40D as Stratty suggested. They're pretty nice guitars with the same pickups.

ksandvik

You might get a somewhat used Axis or Silhouette for between $900-1k from GC's used section, in some cases the guitar just has a lot of external blemish on the body that will not stop you from gigging with it hundreds of gigs. That's how I got my 1997 red Axis.

spychocyco

LesPaul

There are a couple of Axis Sports on Reverb now for $1K with the option to make an offer, so you could possibly get them closer to your range. Both need a good bit of TLC. (In fact, I'm not sure I'd touch that red one without a tetanus shot. :D) There was one in better condition for $899 last night, but looks like it sold.

Ernie Ball Music Man AXIS SPORT 1998 RED HH MAPLE TREM | Reverb

1999 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Sport Purple Electric Guitar | Reverb
Is it just me, or does the bridge on that red one look screwed up? Maybe that nasty finish ding near the post just makes it look that way, but to me the bridge looks crooked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sweat

There are a couple of Axis Sports on Reverb now for $1K with the option to make an offer, so you could possibly get them closer to your range. Both need a good bit of TLC. (In fact, I'm not sure I'd touch that red one without a tetanus shot. :D) There was one in better condition for $899 last night, but looks like it sold.

Ernie Ball Music Man AXIS SPORT 1998 RED HH MAPLE TREM | Reverb

1999 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Sport Purple Electric Guitar | Reverb

Would not touch either of those with a 10 foot pole :) Man Reverb sellers are just not all there, well many of them:)

spychocyco

I wouldn't go near the red one unless I could get it for half or less of what the seller wants, and even then I'd only touch it with gloves on until it was scrubbed. (Blech!) But I think the purple one could be cleaned up pretty nicely. The asking price is definitely too high, especially considering there was a blue one in very good shape for $899 a couple of days ago, but I suspect he's priced it so he can come down a good bit on it. Then again, maybe not. We've all dealt with crazy sellers who think their items are priceless. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom