• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

AlexZG

I want to change sound on neck pickup on my EB/MM JP6 black stealth with black hardware - to single coil pickup? Which single coil pickup is preferred solution?
Thanks guys,
Alex

tbonesullivan

It's routed and set up for a humbucker. It's not exactly simple to put a single coil pickup in there. They tend to be taller and the mounting holes will not line up, unless you go for a humbucker sized P90.

I would wager you will find very few people who have tried this.

What about the sound are you looking to change? I would think if you wanted to put a single coil in there, you would know what you wanted already.

Last edited:

AlexZG

It's routed and set up for a humbucker. It's exactly simple to put a single coil pickup in there. They tend to be taller and the mounting holes will not line up, unless you go for a humbucker sized P90.

I would wager you will find very few people who have tried this.

What about the sound are you looking to change? I would think if you wanted to put a single coil in there, you would know what you wanted already.

I would like to reach close to strat single coil sound, acutually warmer and brighter sound. Am I chasing in wrong direction?

tbonesullivan

I would like to reach close to strat single coil sound, acutually warmer and brighter sound. Am I chasing in wrong direction?
Which type of strat sound? generally the neck pickup on a strat is not particularly bright. The bridge pickup is, and to some extent the middle pickup.

Also, the position of a strat neck pickup would be about one inch closer to the nut, as it is a 22 fret instrument, not a 24 fret instrument.

Were you looking for a single coil sound when you purchased the guitar? It's really not intended to be that type of instrument.

Cenobyte

Only thing I can think would be to add a coil tap to the neck pickup, but it would hum and alter the wiring... I'm not sure I would do this on that particular guitar to be honest.

tbonesullivan

Only thing I can think would be to add a coil tap to the neck pickup, but it would hum and alter the wiring... I'm not sure I would do this on that particular guitar to be honest.

Yeah, I would think if you want a strat type neck pickup, but the bridge humbucker sound of a petrucci, there are better starting points.

Vadauco

I want to change sound on neck pickup on my EB/MM JP6 black stealth with black hardware - to single coil pickup?

Honestly, I think the modification is not worth the cost. I'd trade the JP6 for a Luke, which is an HSS model stock.

Top Bottom