• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DBHRPH

Hello everyone! This is my first post on any forum of any kind so I am truly a newbie. If I am not following protocol just let me know. I have just purchased a JP6 BFR Koa top gold hardware, ebony fretboard. I don’t see anything custom about it. My serial number is G49404. Any ideas? Thanks for any help. Dave.

DBHRPH

Thanks Glenn. The look up shows when the guitar was made which really helps! Does anything in the build code suggest anything “custom Made”. I don’t understand the code. Thanks Dave

Cenobyte

It's a BFR so it should have a Ball Family Reserve inlay on the 12th fret... BFR's tend to have the best of the best figured woods, and tops/paint jobs that are limited in nature, a little extra attention to detail etc. They aren't custom made per-say, they're just fancier versions of regular production runs at the end of the day.

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Pete is pretty good at decyphering these things:

Serial # G49404
Manufactured September 27th, 2011
Build Code 962-KB-J8-00-BB-GD
Model BFR Petrucci
Color Island Burst Koa
Pickguard No Pickguard
Hardware Gold Hardware

Glenn |B)

DBHRPH

Thanks everyone. Am I correct to assume that just because the neck plate is stamped “custom made” doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a special order 1 of 1 ? At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. I love everything about the guitar and I’m not looking to sell or trade it. I was just wondering if it affects the value positive or negative. Dave.

GWDavis28

Thanks everyone. Am I correct to assume that just because the neck plate is stamped “custom made” doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a special order 1 of 1 ? At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. I love everything about the guitar and I’m not looking to sell or trade it. I was just wondering if it affects the value positive or negative. Dave.

Right.

Glenn |B)

spychocyco

I've seen Custom Made plates a few times, and I'm not sure what it means. EBMM doesn't have a custom shop, so any one-off custom order would have been either an artist guitar or for a special event. My 1-of-1 was a NAMM display and doesn't have the Custom Made stamp.

jones4tone

The 20th Anniversary Silhouette offering featured Custom Made neck plates, and those certainly weren't one-offs. Sometimes I think it was just a marketing decision to appoint a special run that way. My son has a NAMM one-off from a few years back, and there's not any such special designation on it, so I wouldn't give it too much thought - just enjoy playing the guitar.

beej

I believe when you could choose the tops (quilt or flame), as was the case with the 20th and many others, the neck plate would say "Custom Made". So there are a lot of them out there.

jones4tone

I believe when you could choose the tops (quilt or flame), as was the case with the 20th and many others, the neck plate would say "Custom Made". So there are a lot of them out there.

Ahhh. I owned a 20th for a time, but I wasn't the original purchaser, so that fills in a gap for me.

PeteDuBaldo

This is correct.

Also,

When the BFR instruments first came out they had a special inlay at the 12th fret denoting "BFR" and the neck serial plates were stamped "CUSTOM MADE" - When the 12th fret inlay went away circa 2013 the "BFR" script took the place of "CUSTOM MADE"

GWDavis28

This is correct.

Also,

When the BFR instruments first came out they had a special inlay at the 12th fret denoting "BFR" and the neck serial plates were stamped "CUSTOM MADE" - When the 12th fret inlay went away in 2013 the "BFR" script took the place of "CUSTOM MADE"

I miss the 12th fret marker, I didn't like it at first, but once I had one I loved it!!

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom