• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ThomThomKC

So what's up with the Stingray Special not getting the flamed/figured treatment on its roasted neck? The guitars all get it. Why are we being left out?

mouth

Flamed maple is less stable/more sensitive to weather changes too, especially without any hard finish on it.

ThomThomKC

Possibly because a much bigger piece of figured maple is needed for a bass, and that would be costly.

Flamed maple is less stable/more sensitive to weather changes too, especially without any hard finish on it.

Well its certainly something they used to do, and in fact one of the special editions they did for Guitar Center last year had it. So between them doing it on their guitars, and even doing on a limited edition of the special last year. I don't think that weather changes is the reason. Maybe cost??? But geez that's some detailed cost cutting.

tbonesullivan

Might simply be a supply issue getting pieces of wood big enough to make a bass neck out of. EBMM is not a wood supplier, and is limited by the market. In general they have offered BEM and Flamed maple necks much more often on guitars than on basses. There's a lot more string tension involved with a bass as well.

mouth

Might simply be a supply issue getting pieces of wood big enough to make a bass neck out of. EBMM is not a wood supplier, and is limited by the market. In general they have offered BEM and Flamed maple necks much more often on guitars than on basses. There's a lot more string tension involved with a bass as well.

This. A lot more tension on the bass neck than a guitar. Usually, the flamed neck version of EBMM basses have a gloss poly finish on them. My BFR Stingray had a roasted flamed maple neck, and a poly finish on it. I still prefer my regular maple stability wise.

ThomThomKC

Hmm ok I guess that makes sense and I'm a bit more ok with it now. I plan to purchase a Special this year and had been wanting the figured neck for aesthetic reasons but if that comes at the cost of requiring a poly finish, then I guess I'm glad they don't have them normally. It's been a few years since I've played a StingRay but the gun oil and wax finish on the neck was one of the things I liked most about playing it.

*Insert The More You Know gif here* ;)

However, like you said "usually" they are given a gloss finish. For example the GC exclusive below is oil, which I assume is the oil and wax blend. Does anyone have experience with a figured neck with oil and wax finish?

Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay Special H Electric Bass Parham Red | Guitar Center

Last edited:

Billy Tennessee

The whole stability issue has been debated, but if figured necks were less stable I doubt they would be used so much on so many premium instruments. I could be wrong though. Ultimately I think the figured necks on the guitars are a big selling point, but it's not something that would make or break the sale of Stingray Special basses.

drTStingray

This is not the reason - I have a Neptune blue PDN Sabre (well quite possibly THE Sabre in that finish) - it has a stripey flamed maple neck with oil and wax finish. It's not unstable at all.

When the new Stingray Special was first unveiled Scott Ball explained some of the reasons for more limited options than in the past - eg no matching headstocks - this related to cost and the instruments achieving a particular price band. I'm guessing this is why - also the BFR editions have the crazy figured necks (they are a higher price). However I have two Stingray Specials and several older Stingrays with non-figured necks - with use and age they have all become quite figured (though not the crazy birds eye or flame of limited editions or Classic Rays) - nonetheless v nice

Dargin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Dr T is correct. If we offered the Special stock with a figured neck it would be ~$500 more street. Figured woods and cases carry the most cost.

Top Bottom