• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

coreytree

This is an unusual story I wanted to share to see what your thoughts on the matter might be. Last week I selected a particularly resonant and sweet-necked Valentine and was thrilled to take it home with me. Before I left the well-respected store (and I still love and respect the place), I noticed that the frets were a bit rough here and there, and made a grinding sound when bending the strings across some frets. They said"no prob - our tech can polish that out" and the tech did so, mostly. Then when I got it home and played it more I noticed that the trem knocked pretty strongly when released (I started a thread here asking others about that). Then the volume knob slipped off - no biggie, I thought - that happens, and I tightened the relevant screw and fixed that. I looked up the serial number and found that the guitar was made a year ago. I happened to have started a discussion with EBMM support about the trem and today called and spoke to them about the fret issues and the other points I just mentioned.

The person at support at EBMM noted that there should have been very small felt pads where the trem hits the body. They were missing on the guitar. They also said that the knob shouldn't have fallen off (again - I flex that and thought "no biggie there". But he did tell me that the fret work voided the EBMM warranty. Ugh. On a "brand new" high-quality guitar??? Ugh. So, Though I really wanted to stay with this great feeling and sounding guitar, I decided to let it go back to the store at the last moment they would take it back without a hassle or question - one week - and they did take it back kindly and with no question.

So, sadly, I returned the instrument based on the fact that it appeared to have a good amount of shop wear on it - it was indeed a year old - and that the minor fret work voided the warranty. I'm unhappy that this happened because I really like the guitar. Felt like a risky investment on this particular one. I just decided that I'd try again when I find another that does not have so many issues.

TripHazard

That’s a damn shame that the fret work voided the warranty. I wonder if the store didn’t know that would happen

GWDavis28

Yah a long time about I scored by Albert Lee from GC, it had been hanging around since 2001. It had fret sprout, when I contacted CS about it, since I had bought the guitar as new, even though it had been a number of years old, it was still considered new. I sent it back to them, the handled the fret sprout and the tech at the time, tricked it out!! When I got it back it was good as new, I only had to pay for the shipping one way. It was a small price to pay in my mind.

Hopefully, you find another that works for you, the trick is to always check the serial number tracker first. If there are issues, contact CS and see what can be done about it before you buys it.

Good luck, sorry this didn't work out for you. Glenn |B)

Fro

I returned a Music Man back to the store once....to exchange it for the same model in a BFR:D

tbonesullivan

Most times when stainless frets have an issue, it's due to the plain steel strings somehow getting hit hard enough to leave a tiny divot in them. I don't know how it can happen, but it does. With N/S frets they are soft enough for it to wear away quickly.

Top Bottom