• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

PeterVV

Hi guys, just had my ( 3rd owner ) Luke 3 HH, and I am very impressed with the range of sounds. The pups are very powerful , yet very musical . The position 2 and 4 give a good thinner sound for clean chord work.
My question is to you owners that play in bands, do you just play rock/overdriven sounds like Luke does, or does anyone use it for cleaner tones or a variety.
My main guitar in my band ( we play pop and soul and rock n roll ) is a Cutlass, but I am thinking of giving the Luke a go this weekend.

Keno

The L3 is probably the most versatile guitar I know. Luke himself use it for plenty more sounds than overdrive, check him out on youtube. I use it for anything we might happen to play in our band - jazz, fusion, funk, rock, pop, you name it. Plenty of super clean tones. Try it out, if you're a decent player I'd be surprised if you can't make it work.

PeterVV

The L3 is probably the most versatile guitar I know. Luke himself use it for plenty more sounds than overdrive, check him out on youtube. I use it for anything we might happen to play in our band - jazz, fusion, funk, rock, pop, you name it. Plenty of super clean tones. Try it out, if you're a decent player I'd be surprised if you can't make it work.

The reason I ask is that these pups are way hotter than what Im used to, as Im used to playing with single coils. Will let you know how I get on...

Magic Jason

They are indeed fairly hot single coils but they sure can be used for clean sounds : when you turn the volume down, they clean very well because of the preamp.

beej

I gig with an HH LIII and have problems with clean sounds. We do pop to funk to hard rock. I also gig with other HH guitars without issue.

I think a lot of depends on how you set up your amp, etc. I usually set my clean channel for a light crunch tone and back off the volume for clean. The Transition pickups aren't overly hot or middy, and because they're buffered in the LIII, you don't lose any high end when you turn down the volume.

PeterVV

I gig with an HH LIII and have problems with clean sounds. We do pop to funk to hard rock. I also gig with other HH guitars without issue.

I think a lot of depends on how you set up your amp, etc. I usually set my clean channel for a light crunch tone and back off the volume for clean. The Transition pickups aren't overly hot or middy, and because they're buffered in the LIII, you don't lose any high end when you turn down the volume.

They are around 11k, so quite hot to me as Im used to single coils.

Timeblock

I play my PDN 2014 “neptune blue” LIII in my folk-rock band without the need of any other guitar... abosoltely stunning, the sound paillette gors from sparkling cleans to aggressive hi-gain sounds with the onboard 20db boost!

mikeller

I have a pair of L3 HH's, they sound awesome clean, dirty or anywhere in between. I play in a cover band with a variety of music and that is my #1 guitar and has been since 2012

Fro

The reason I ask is that these pups are way hotter than what Im used to, as Im used to playing with single coils. Will let you know how I get on...

That's what the volume/tone knobs are for. Work that volume knob.

Top Bottom