• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

francescoalagna

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
I just bought a Stingray 5 (1992), and I got it shipped from Italy to Germany.
As I opened the case, I noticed that the pickup was detached from the cover and lying inside the bass body. I guess it detached due to some shock during transportation.

What would be IYO the best way to fix it? I read somewhere that the newest versions have the pickup glued to the cover with some silicone... should I use that method? And where should I put it exactly?

Thank you for your time!

tbonesullivan

Do you have some pictures of what you are talking about? Usually the springs that hold the pickup up are under the pickup itself, so the cover detaching is not really possible.

Bert

francescoalagna

At the moment I only have this picture with me...

I unscrewed the cover, and I noticed that nothing is holding the pickup attached to it but the "friction".

Attachments

• 20200124_115004.jpg
    20200124_115004.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 146

tbonesullivan

I would contact customer service and see what they say. I do remember earlier models having the springs under the base plate of the pickup. What do you see if you take the screws all the way out and remove the cover?

francescoalagna

This is the pickup after I remove the cover. I see no traces of glue or silicone.

I do remember earlier models having the springs under the base plate of the pickup
There's nothing under the pickup, just a hole in the body, which could theoretically host some springs.

Attachments

• 20200124_110147.jpg
    20200124_110147.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 140

danny-79

The glue is not 100% necessary, just some form of padding underneath the pick up and body. if you don’t have springs some foam will do the job perfectly or at least just as well. as long as there is enough give in it so the pick up will sit at the correct height when the three screws are replaced

francescoalagna

Thank you all for your replies. Since I have a gig on Friday, I temporarily fixed everything with some double-sided tape between pickup and cover and some foam between pickup and body. It seems pretty sturdy right now.

I'll let you know if this solution holds!

Bert

Thank you all for your replies. Since I have a gig on Friday, I temporarily fixed everything with some double-sided tape between pickup and cover and some foam between pickup and body. It seems pretty sturdy right now.

I'll let you know if this solution holds!

Found another pic from an 1988. Don't know if it still looked like this in 1992.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-26 um 09.52.16.jpg

Top Bottom