• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tennjed420

Hello ,
I have a 2006 Axis s# G33891 and wanted to understand more about the trem on this guitar. So can you tell what the difference between a "Original Floyd Rose" and a "Music Man Licensed Floyd ".

My Trem system says " Music Man " on the top and " High Stability Tremolo System " just under the fine tuners .

So I read somewhere that : " in June 2011 they stopped using the older style original Floyd Rose trems on the Axis and went to a Music Man Licensed trem " .

Is that true ? If so , is one better than the other ? Is the value of the guitar affected by this ? By looking at my picture ...... which do I have?

The statement would indicate that I have an
"older style original Floyd " .

I tried to attach a pic to this forum post, but it wouldn't allow me to add it ??? maybe a file size issue .

Thank you, in advance for any input or direction.

Flash Gordon

If your trem bar clamps in its the old Gotoh Floyd version with offset saddles. If it’s the newer trem, the bar just pops in and out! And this is the major improvement in the newer style as no tools required to remove trem. Also adding that if you have the older version... do not lose your trem bar! Replacements are near impossible to find and EBMM no longer has old stock.

Otherwise, I’ve never noticed any difference in playability between the two, nor would I consider either version to affect value.

There is an Axis dedicated FB group you can join and post photos more easily there, if you are so inclined!

Welcome to the forum!

spychocyco

I have both, and I actually prefer the newer one. There's no difference in stability or functionality between the two. The reasons I like the new one are, as Flash said, the bar is easier to remove, and the fine tuners are easier to deal with. It's a snap to go back and forth between standard and drop D with the new one, if you leave enough play, not so much my old one.

tbonesullivan

I had heard that some versions of the Axis had a bar that was attached from the back of the tremolo, and not intended to be removed?

Flash Gordon

I had heard that some versions of the Axis had a bar that was attached from the back of the tremolo, and not intended to be removed?

Hmm... I have personally never heard of or have seen this type of system from the factory or otherwise on any EBMM. This does not mean they did not exist, or someone did not update a guitar with an aftermarket trem of this design. Perhaps others have more information than I?

dibart77

Hey guys, some stuff is right here and some is wrong. Lemme try to clear up:

When the EBMM EVH came out in 1991, it had a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo that was branded MUSIC MAN (molded into the metal) and manufactured by Gotoh. The EVH had offset saddles which allowed you to adjust the intonation without loosening the string (just loosen the saddle allen screw while the string is under tension and slide the saddle).

I don't think any EBMM before the EVH had a Gotoh Floyd, because one of the early EVH prototypes had a Schaller Floyd and for legal or business reasons they ended up going with Gotoh.

A couple years later, EBMM was also offering floating Floyd Rose terms on Silhouettes. Same MUSIC MAN branded Gotoh unit as the EVH, but it didn't have offset saddles (meaning the saddle allen screw was centered under the string and to adjust the string had to be removed (or very slack). The earliest example I own of this is a Silhouette from April 1993. Not sure if the floating Gotoh Floyd Silos go black earlier in the 90s..

After EVH left EBMM, EBMM changed the EVH model to the Axis, which included moving the switch location, a slightly wider neck at the heel, the Axis logo instead of Ed's sig, and switch to the same MUSIC MAN branded Gotoh unit as the Silo, the one without the offset saddles.

On all of those previous Floyds, the bar was generally not intended to be removed. It was attached from the underside with an Allen screw that controlled the tension, and there was a contraption on the top of the Floyd with an Allen screw that controlled the wobble. To take the bar off, you needed to use an Allen key and it was a slight pain.

In 2011, EVH switched away from Gotoh and manufactured a new licensed Floyd Rose trem. It's a different trem manufactured by a different company. No parts are interchangeable (except maybe the rear springs, the nut pads and hex screws, and maybe the little black saddle block squares). The main noticeable differences are (1) the tremolo bar pops in rather than being permanently affixed; (2) the fine tuners on the new trem are "thinner" than the ones on the Gotoh trem (I way prefer the Gotoh fine tuners because there's more "meat" to grab and they're more rounded so they are easier on your hand when you bang them; (3) the trem posts are now chrome instead of black and seem to be a bit smaller / less substantial. Everything else is a little different but basically the same (no functional difference).

The first guitars to have the new trem were the Axis Tributes in 2011. Interestingly, on the Tributes, the MUSIC MAN on the trem was not molded in the metal; it was etched (laser etching?) and what white-ish.

spychocyco

(2) the fine tuners on the new trem are "thinner" than the ones on the Gotoh trem (I way prefer the Gotoh fine tuners because there's more "meat" to grab and they're more rounded so they are easier on your hand when you bang them;

Interesting. I love the thin tuners because they seem to move more easily and I have an easier time dropping the E using them. Different strokes, eh? :D

Top Bottom