• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I hope you are all good. I've asked this question on one of the MM FB pages and was interested to know what everyone thought here on the forum.

I'm thinking of selling my Majesty Monarchy and putting a deposit down on an Axis SS. What do you all think rosewood board or a maple board? Anyone find the maple fingerboard too bright compared to the rosewood board?

I've never owned an Axis before so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I should probably mention I do own a Cutlass RS with a Rosewood board and a couple of L3's with rosewood boards as well. My JP15 has a maple neck and fingerboard as well.

Many thanks
Paul

Flash Gordon

Hi Paul,

I don’t notice a significant difference between the two, but the maple will be just a smidge brighter (well within the realm of a small bump down on the treble to your current eq settings for adjustment). It’s really personal preference.

If you ask me my personal recommendation, I’d say go maple since you are heavy on rosewood in your harem!

Either way... Go for it!!!

xjbebop

Go for the feel / look you want, not a big difference tone wise. Especially if you ad some dirt / gain...

Paulg2uk

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. I think I'm gonna go for rosewood, I just get the feeling the maple will be too bright for me.

spychocyco

Maple has a little more snap, but it's not a huge difference. I never liked maple boards until I got my first Axis (and would have chosen rosewood on it if it were available on the Floyd version at the time), but I love it on the Axis. It's a different beast. Of my four, three are maple (one roasted, two birdseye) and the fourth is ebony. All four sound very different, even the two with pretty much identical specs.

jones4tone

An ASS with (non-roasted) maple neck and fingerboard was my first experience with that, and barring a case where rosewood or ebony is the only option in a configuration I want, I'm a maple guy every time now. I just prefer the feel of it, and don't honestly notice a significant difference in tone. But get the one that appeals to you more overall - feel, look, everything.

Paulg2uk

Thanks again guys, I'm having a hard time letting go of my majesty at the moment. I really don't want to sell it. I know I'll regret it if I do. I think I'm just gonna put a deposit on the Axis SS and then I've got like 6-7 months before it turns up to save up for some of it.

Top Bottom