• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Joe Supposta

Hello, I like the sound of the two singles but the HB sound is not usable. Also the guitar is a bit noisy. I’m willing to spend some money on upgrades because I do love this axe. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• B0458F1B-0460-44CD-A6FE-C00CCB4D1365.jpeg
    B0458F1B-0460-44CD-A6FE-C00CCB4D1365.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 210
  • FC44802E-0E1F-44C6-8771-5A2B91FDC750.jpg
    FC44802E-0E1F-44C6-8771-5A2B91FDC750.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 169

beej

When you say it's "not usable", what you do mean? You don't like the sound of the HB? It's too hot? It doesn't work properly? Etc.

In terms of noise from the singles, they're real single coil pickups so are noisy. With a 9V battery in there, the Silent Circuit should reduce the hum significantly. (Make sure that's working properly- insert and remove the battery to see.)

If you want to put in noiseless pickups, there are a ton on the market.

tbonesullivan

Is raising/lowering the bridge pickup an option? That can really change how a guitar sounds. Also definitely get that silent circuit working. There shouldn't be any hum if it's setup right.

There are lots of other pickups to choose from, however looking at the bridge pickup routing, you would do best to stick with Dimarzio brand pickups, which have triangular "ears" on the pickups. If you go another way you'll need to have the base plate modified.

Joe Supposta

Thanks for the thoughts. I will try to lower it or replace with a lower output Dimarzio. Also hey somebody check out the silent circuit.

Joe Supposta

It is very muddy to me and it is way too much of a volume increase when switching to bridge only.

The noise is not noticeable at home. Only at gigs when hands are off of the guitar. I will have someone look at the silent circuit wiring.

Thanks

tbonesullivan

You also might want to check the grounding of the guitar, and your rig as well. A lot of venues have "crap wiring" with really bad safety grounds.

The PAF pro is a nice lower output pickup. Just remember however that the humbucker will always have more output than the single coils, and a very different tonal profile. It's just how they are.

Denk

I installed Dimarzio 36th Anniv. pups in one of my Axis's. Love it! Sweeter sounding, more musical with that PAF honk. Visually a totally transparent install with the zebra's.

Top Bottom