• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Samhain

I have a Reflex, and I love the switching on it.
I’m wondering, will a regular stock Dimarzio wire up to the switching like the Custom pup in it now?

beej

The stock pickups are Dimarzios. Same as the Axis, AL HH, etc.

You shouldn't have any trouble swapping them for anything else. They're wired to a little circuit board on the switch, which makes it easy to wire up.

(I've rewired mine a few times, though I've stuck with the stock pickups.)

Samhain

Thanks so much!!
I opened up the control area and saw a lot of wiring, it made me wonder if the pups weren’t special made and might not be able to just drop in another one.
I appreciate the info!

kimonostereo

I just put my 25th back to stock pickups and wiring. I hope you're handy with the soldering iron. If not, find someone who is. It's very easy to mess up on that tiny circuit board.

edhalen

Question regarding this wiring - if I wanted to add this parallel/series wiring to a different guitar, do I need more than just the two-way switch (circuit board)? I'm thinking about having this done professionally. My other thought was maybe getting a couple of Tele knobs and get the push/push volume knob and use that for the parallel/series switch rather than having a hole drilled in the guitar.

beej

With this particular wiring scheme (which is fairly unique), you need a 4-pole 5-way lever and a 4PDT toggle.

For a more general series/parallel switch, you need one DPDT switch per pickup (or a 4PDT for both pickups at once). The more common approach is a
DPDT push/pull (or toggle) for each pickup, wired to any kind of lever switch.

edhalen

With this particular wiring scheme (which is fairly unique), you need a 4-pole 5-way lever and a 4PDT toggle.

For a more general series/parallel switch, you need one DPDT switch per pickup (or a 4PDT for both pickups at once). The more common approach is a
DPDT push/pull (or toggle) for each pickup, wired to any kind of lever switch.
Thanks @beej are the lever and toggles the ones I see for sale on the MM site? i see 5 way levers as well as a two- way toggle for the Morse on the MM site.

beej

This lever switch is:

None of the toggles are right for this. The Petrucci one is close, but it's a 3-way not a 2-way. (You could use this to do series/split/parallel where each pickup is split separately, but not the way the Reflex is wired up.)

You could email MM and ask if they sell the 2-way 4PDT for the Reflex. Failing that, there are a ton of switches on the market .. for example:

If you need a hand with anything, drop me a line.

edhalen

@beej - said guitar is my profile pic ;) Taking delivery tomorrow. I hate the waiting part haha. In any case as this one is my forever guitar I was thinking about getting it wired up like the reflex along with a set of SD Pearly Gates installed. Not sure though. Might just leave well enough alone for a change :) EDIT.....although, I could go the easier route and just get two push/pull pots and have each pup wired in for series/parallel. So many choices haha :)

Top Bottom