• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mcro2430

Hello

I'm in the market for a JP guitar and had a question for those of you with experience with them. I'm thinking particularly the JP12, 13 or JPXI models.

For the models with the 3 way toggle switch, is the switch shorter than 3 way toggles on other guitars? My concern is the switch would get knocked around while I strum. I'm not really a shredder, so I tend to strum a bit and I tended to brush against the volume knob on my stingray guitars a lot.

I played a Sterling JP6 at GC at one point and found I kept hitting the 3 way with my right hand, but in my Googling, the switch looks taller on the Sterling than the one on the EBMM.

Thanks!

johnnyboogie

I don't think you'll have a problem. It's quite firm as well.

A remark worth made on the models you mentioned is the weight. The 12 is a lot lighter than the XI (basswood vs. alder). I guess the same goes for the 13 too (have never played one).

Vadauco

For the models with the 3 way toggle switch, is the switch shorter than 3 way toggles on other guitars?

Shorter than a Les Paul toggle, yes. It's actually a DiMarzio EP1111 part.

My concern is the switch would get knocked around while I strum. I'm not really a shredder, so I tend to strum a bit and I tended to brush against the volume knob on my stingray guitars a lot.

So you'll probably hit the switch a lot. It may not seem to be a big deal during the "honeymoon phase", but soon it'll make you angry. I've seen a lot of people turning down the JP6 exactly because of the 3-way position. Do test it before you buy, or you may end up in frustration.

Last edited:

damo_512

I played a Sterling JP6 at GC at one point and found I kept hitting the 3 way with my right hand, but in my Googling, the switch looks taller on the Sterling than the one on the EBMM.

The switches on the SBMM are larger than the EBMM Petrucci models and the switch is quite firm.

Top Bottom