• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ThePod

Greetings all. I'm new to Music Man/Ernie Ball, just picked up this new BFR Axis and I'm in love with it.
The neck feels unbelievable, the fret work is flawless and the pickups sound incredible.

I really like the stainless frets. I'm thinking about picking up another Music Man guitar.
I'd like to buy used this time, either an Axis or otherwise.
I really want the same neck feel and the stainless frets.

Can anyone tell me which of the models/years have the same neck as the Axis, and if they have stainless frets.
Body shape isn't quite as important to me as neck and stainless frets.
I can't seem to easily find this info on reverb and other used guitar sites
Thanks in advance!!

49550730367_d6f063de48_c.jpg

beej

Welcome to the forum- helluva first post! That Axis is drop dead gorgeous.

With regards to the neck- all of the Axis series (Axis/Sports/Super Sports) have the same profile. The frets, however, are only available on custom runs or some of the BFR series, so that's harder to find.

That said, they're similar in size to the Axis frets, so they really don't play that differently. (To me, anyway.) I have a bunch of guitars with SS frets, and I find I can generally go back and forth so long as the size profile is similar.

Fro

I have an Axis with the stainless frets and have to agree, it’s something special. If your wanting another guitar with the Axis neck shape, your only choice is an Axis.

tbonesullivan

The bound necks are a tiny bit wider I believe, so you'd need another axis with a bound neck. Only the BFR or PDN run axis guitars will have Stainless Frets.

A.J.

tbonesullivan is correct. The bound necks all have a little more meat towards the fretboard to help accommodate that binding.

spychocyco

Congrats. I've got one from that run, too, and it's an incredible guitar. As others have said, the Axis is the only way to get the Axis neck. I'd go for a standard, not a BFR next time. Same neck and playability, but a slightly different feel with the unfinished and unbound neck. Can't go wrong with any Axis as far as I'm concerned, as you can see from my sig. :D

Sweat

Love that color, had one but my fight with the floyd won and had to sell. Congrats would love a hardtail just like it.

Now you will soon be looking for number 2 :)

ThePod

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll look for a used axis then. They are a little hard to come by but I've got time. If I can find one cheap enough I'll pick it up and consider a stainless re-fret. I'll keep you all posted!!!

beej

Refretting with stainless isn't all that bad. Though, personally, I would only do it if the frets are in bad shape. Otherwise there's not that much of a feel and size difference. My two cents (having done it a few times).

ThePod

Definitely right up there. It surprises me that there still seem to be so many of them floating around for sale, but the photos don't really do them justice.

Yes, that steel blue is a sexy beast! As it turns out I scored a used Blue Burst Axis just today. I've got GAS real bad. It's definitely becoming an addiction. I post pics when it arrives!!!

ThePod

Alright here it is!!! Since I loved the first one so much I picked up this 2003 Used AXIS Supersport from Guitar Center. In great shape and a great deal!!!
Really like this one too with the hardtail! Does anyone know how the 5 way switch on the Supersport works. I'm assuming that some of the positions are coil splits???

Top Bottom