• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dr. Doom

44263648_1845749418857686_615599157184299008_o.jpg

I took my trusty Stingray HH on a gig last Friday and, later on, heard a couple of recordings of a couple of the songs we played. (The picture I included wasn't the gig I'm referring to.)

The tone of the bass on the recordings was truly amazing. I'm usually not quite sure of the tone that is going out while I'm playing although I, of course, have some idea.

If I'd heard someone else getting a bass to sound that good I'd have been jealous. The tone I was getting was all I've ever aspired to and more.

I love the 'action' on the bass and the general feel of the instrument.

When you love something, or someone, you should say so in my opinion.

Thanks Ernie Ball for making truly wonderful basses.

bovinehost

Administrator
Well said.

I occasionally go insane and bring some other bass to a gig and I'm always bummed out by the second song, so it goes back on the stand and I grab a Music Man.

And whichever one I take, I'm never disappointed. I am clearly a Bongoloid but I play my others often enough, especially the Big Al 5H. And the band notices. I get looks of relief when I put the POS away and grab an EBMM. Like "Whew, now we can sound like us again."

The tone! Brother, I feel you. I often think, "I bet other bassists wish they sounded like me!" Hah. Not PLAY like me, but that's okay, I'm good at being simple.

And when your tone is good, the playing kind of just falls into place, don't it now?

Jack

danny-79

I’m loving my HH more and more the more I use it. (Taking it to an audition tonight!)
If any of you remember I was having a bit of a game with it when I first got it regarding getting it set up and playing as I wanted but with a fair bit of fiddling it’s now in the tuning needed and sounds sweet as !
(HH Bongo or Reflex is next on the GAS list :p )

Dr. Doom

For a player like me good tone is of major importance. I'm not a flashy player. People call me because I can play sweet and funky bass lines. If they want brilliant, and blistering, solos they should get someone else.

When I get good tone it causes my to 'dig in' and make every note sound just right.....At least most of the notes on a good night. It's a feedback loop........The better I sound the better I want to sound.

My HH constantly impresses me with its incredible tone.

Dr. Doom

That's good to hear. As I said to the Lord Bongo fellow good tone is crucial for those of us who lack spectacular chops. Chops should be used to get good tone of course but they aren't aren't used in the service of good tone.

Dr. Doom

My HH is my choice of bass when I feel like my playing is 'on the line'. I have a couple of other basses that sound great but the HH.....

KevinM

SR5 HH Love

I was thinking about starting a thread on this subject but I'll just post here.
I recently moved to a new church and started playing on their worship music team.
My old church would only let me play on the 25th anniversary Reflex which is a good choice but there was no freedom to switch things up.
The group I'm playing with now is full of gear hounds who like to switch things up and experiment to a certain degree.
I started using my different basses and this last weekend I broke out my BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst.
Honeyburst with Roasted Neck 1.jpg
This baby hasn't been out of the case for three years.
I adjusted the truss rod and intonation and when I began playing it sounded a little flat with the tone controls set to nominal so I turned all three knobs all the way up and this baby was singing.
Using it on Sunday it sounded phenomenal and so now I've decided to give the Reflex a break for a while and use the SR5 as my main and my fretless Bongo here and there.
I forgot how good this bass plays.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share how glad I am to have the Stingray back in circulation.

Dr. Doom

Hi,

I too have a Church gig. It's a paid gig. I've been doing it for 17 years now. It's a great gig.

I usually have my bass knob all the way up and the mid and treble knobs in the middle.

I usually have the pickup switch in the middle. I love the sound of both pickups working.

I use the back pickup sometimes for more 'bite' and when I play with a pick I use the neck pickup.

Occasionally I use the other pickup selections just for fun. I never remember which position is which when it comes to using the two middle pickups or the two outer pickups.

There are no options on the pickup selector that sound bad.

KevinM

Pickup switch in the middle is my favorite too.
I’ll use the others for tone variation on different songs that beg for it but I usually start in the middle.
All coils on board.

danny-79

Hey I got the gig !!! Not quite sure it was the right tool for the job (too much too soon) (for them) formalities are over, SunBlue or 05LE is next out the box.
BUT! It’s first out the box come recoding time! :cool:

KevinM

Hey I got the gig !!! Not quite sure it was the right tool for the job (too much too soon) (for them) formalities are over, SunBlue or 05LE is next out the box.
BUT! It’s first out the box come recoding time! :cool:
Good deal.
You got the job. That's what matters. The rest is just working into the group dynamics. Congratulation.

Dr. Doom

Hey....That's great that you got the gig.

I know what you mean about bringing 'too much' bass. Sometimes I take my P-bass instead of my fancier Stingrays in order to seem like I'm not overdoing it.

danny-79

Good deal.
You got the job. That's what matters. The rest is just working into the group dynamics. Congratulation.

Thanks ! I’m pleased with myself. Over the past few months I’ve had lots of offers, people sending me stuff to listen to but this is the one that got my attention to want to really go for it. And I’ve got it so busy learning back catalogue and new stuff that is being worked on.

Hey....That's great that you got the gig.

I know what you mean about bringing 'too much' bass. Sometimes I take my P-bass instead of my fancier Stingrays in order to seem like I'm not overdoing it.

I didn’t want to turn up with too much gear, just enough to do the job. I figured the HH had the most options as I had no idea what the set up was, took my own amp (Genz-Benz 115 cab with a shuttle 6.2 that’s got a markbass octaver attatched to it ) so I knew I’d be able to get an impressive sound so all I had to focus on was impressing with my playing.
As it turns out they are all appreciative of their own stuff so after the formality’s lots of gear talk.
Due to where I live and they are based I’m only able to get to rehearsals every other week but will be talking a different bass each time. Mainly to see what’s the best fit and why not ! :p

baske

To be honest? I have since 2008 a SR5. It's a crazy sound!
But I had the change to buy a second hand SR5 HH.
I could never find a sound that I liked on the HH. Only the 1st position (bridge pickup) was ok for me.
The problem was... Its a different bass.
For me it was like drinking beer out of a coffee cup.
I had to make a 'mindswitch'. And thinking away from my H. Get my mind open for new sounds.
And now I am in love with this HH.
A new world opened for me :)

Top Bottom