• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sml

Hello everyone!

First time poster and soon-to-be owner of my first EBMM guitar in need of help here.

I've played Suhr guitars for quite a while and have set my mind on getting an JP signature for heavier genres. They seem to be of excellent quality judging by the various models I've tested out during the last decade. Kudos to EBMM! :cool:

As I've had the pleasure to try them, I've so far prefered the JP6 BFR, but I can't stand the painted neck. So I am wondering if there are any JP6 models (apart from the normal one with gunstock waxed maple neck) that would have a matte/satin/unfinished neck?

I adore the JP15 roasted neck as it feels super comfortable. Because of this I was already set on JP15 until I recently got it for a test drive and I wasn't so convinced by the Illuminator pickups. Then I started looking and noticed it could be a bit of a hassle to change the pickups because of the mounting rings and weird electronics. Was I intimidated for nothing and can the pickups be swapped easily on it or not?

Hopefully you guys know better and can give me some ideas on what options I have to go with!

-Sam

Billy Tennessee

For the JP6, you can get one in a "Stealth Black" finish, which is a matte black with satin finished neck. I believe these are still available.

LordRiffenstein

I eventually came around on the Illuminators but initially thought they were much too bright and lacked bass. Turns out I was just lazy EQ'ing my amp. That said, it can be a chore to put just any pickups in a JP15 due to the quick connect system and the way the body is routed. However, if there are any Dimarzio's you like, they can be custom ordered with the quick connect plates on them which would make a swap very easy.

Vadauco

For what you said, the first JP6 model seems to be the best choice. The unfinished neck is awesome, and the electronics are not complicated, since the piezo module is isolated from the passive circuit (although the passives still run through the preamp when in stereo).

In newer models, everything goes through the active preamp, so electronics are far more delicate.

sml

I eventually came around on the Illuminators but initially thought they were much too bright and lacked bass. Turns out I was just lazy EQ'ing my amp. That said, it can be a chore to put just any pickups in a JP15 due to the quick connect system and the way the body is routed. However, if there are any Dimarzio's you like, they can be custom ordered with the quick connect plates on them which would make a swap very easy.

Oh I see! I wasn't aware they were quick connect plates and thought they had some special design. Well that is definitely sparking my interest towards the JP15 again as there are tons of DiMarzio pickups that I love.

Also regarding the EQ, it could also be to blame. I did some minor tweaking on my Kemper profiles and compared to other high output pickups and mostly preferred anything else than the illuminators.

Last edited:

sml

For the JP6, you can get one in a "Stealth Black" finish, which is a matte black with satin finished neck. I believe these are still available.

I've seen that around and noticed it has the satin finish, but I find the full black look a bit boring. That's why I was wondering if there are any JP6 BFR models or other special runs that would have a satin or natural oiled neck.

Last edited:

sml

For what you said, the first JP6 model seems to be the best choice. The unfinished neck is awesome, and the electronics are not complicated, since the piezo module is isolated from the passive circuit (although the passives still run through the preamp when in stereo).

In newer models, everything goes through the active preamp, so electronics are far more delicate.

It would be the safe bet to get the JP6 for sure, but I much prefer the JP6 BFR / JP15 body cut so I was hoping that there might be some BFR model with unfinished or satin neck ;)

Much appreciate your help folks! That info on the JP15 quick plates was excellent and now I am back to JP6 vs JP15 and I think we all know who is going to win that one as I adore roasted necks :p hehe

Mace13

Does Seymour Duncan do these quick connect plates of which you speak? I would love to put some Alpha/Omega into a JP15.

LordRiffenstein

Does Seymour Duncan do these quick connect plates of which you speak? I would love to put some Alpha/Omega into a JP15.

I am pretty sure it's Dimarzio only. Along with the quick connect they are also flat bottomed, meaning they just have wings for the mounting screws rather than legs which means they're shorter than their standard counterparts.

Top Bottom