• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GHeimbauer

Hi There!

I'm loving the new Cutlass I got but have been experimenting with the tremolo and have a question:

To float the bridge, do you recommend raising the two posts, so that the bridge remains parallel to the body, or doing it more like vintage bridge, where the posts stay down, and the back of the bridge pushes forward, so that it isn't parallel to the body?

Since it comes flush from the factory against the body, I've left the post down, and have it tilting up to float, but most two post trem systems, you lift the posts to keep it parallel, so I'm unsure what would work best.

Thanks,

Gary

tbonesullivan

The posts really aren't made to be raised or lowered. They are screwed directly into the body, not into bushings, as far as I know. If you want it to float, it needs to be at an angle to the body.

mikeller

To add to tbonesullivan - to float those bridges you will loosen the trem spring tension by loosen (letting out) the claw. Its a back and forth operation, loosen claw, tune, loosen claw, tune until you get the float where you want it. I have floated both my Cutlass's without any problems or concerns, just takes a bit of time. The pivot posts, if properly adjusted should only allow a gap at the pickup side of the bridge plate about the thickness of a business card to allow the bridge to move up and down without hitting the body of the guitar.

Astrofreq

I always take out at least one spring on all my tremolo guitars. The tension just loosens up considerably and then adjust the claw to liking.

GHeimbauer

Thanks all! I've been really getting to know this tremolo the last 24 hours, and tried both ways. I have kept the posts in their original position, and am floating it like a strat 6 screw vintage bridge. I took off the hand rest since it was impossible for me to not push down on the bridge with even the slightest touch, making everything sharp when I am palm muting, etc. And now, without the cover, and just the exposed bent steel saddles, it is perfect! I have it set up with the G string pulling up a minor third, the B string, a whole step, and the high E a half step. I'm pyched!
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 3.31.25 PM.jpg

tbonesullivan

Personally, I don't know why they went to the "covered" tremolo design. The vintage design, such as used on the Luke II/III, Axis SS, and other guitars for years looks and plays awesome.

TripHazard

I like the covered trem aesthetic myself
Doesn’t seem to affect my palm muting either
Guess it’s down to your muting style. I play my Strat with the ashtray on

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Switching as frequently as I do between the vintage and the new trem, I don't even think of the difference between them anymore. It never occurred to me to take the cover off!

Of course, whatever works for you is great.

And welcome to the forum family, Gary!

Top Bottom