• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tj1

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help. I have a MM guitar which I am very happy with.

But I am looking to start learning the bass. The Stingray looks a bit expensive for a beginner, but the cutlass though still pricey might be more viable for me.

My questions are 1. Is it made in the same factory as the Stringray. 2. Do they share common parts.
3. What are the sonic differences tonally?

Any Advice really appreciated

danny-79

Personally I don’t think you get much further apart than those two basses. The only thing they have in common is the EB name on the headstock.

brash47

I own both. I also have a Caprice as well. The Cutlass is going to be about as close in sound to a Fender P bass as you can get. Very fat sound, lots of "hollow" bassy goodness.

The ray is going to be hard punching, extreme steady hard tone and in your face.

I would suggest getting the Cutlass just to own one. It is a pure pleasure to sit and play as is the Caprice.

Between the 2, if you can find a Caprice, jump on it. You can get just about the same tone as the Cutlass, but then having the bridge pickup gives you that refined Jazz Bass sound you may want from time to time.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tj1

I own both. I also have a Caprice as well. The Cutlass is going to be about as close in sound to a Fender P bass as you can get. Very fat sound, lots of "hollow" bassy goodness.

The ray is going to be hard punching, extreme steady hard tone and in your face.

I would suggest getting the Cutlass just to own one. It is a pure pleasure to sit and play as is the Caprice.

Between the 2, if you can find a Caprice, jump on it. You can get just about the same tone as the Cutlass, but then having the bridge pickup gives you that refined Jazz Bass sound you may want from time to time.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your and other people's replies - most helpful.

I definitely don't want a hard, in your face bass so it sounds like the sting ray is not for me.

I am principally a 12 string acoustic guitarist and I want to record pieces guided by an underlying but not instrusive bass beat of my own making.

I think I really need something that is versatile and your comparison between the Cutlass and the Fender Precision bass is reassuring.

The jazz sound of the Caprice is tempting - but I am not sure about the relative price points - which are an issue

Top Bottom