• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Alex BASS-ITA

Hi everyone, I would like advice on the selector on the stingray bass.
I have a stingray 5 2009 ... I would like to have some advice: how do you use the selector based on the musical styles, the eq ... can you give me some advice?

thank you!

bovinehost

Administrator
You flip that sucker all the way back toward the bridge and never, ever touch it again.

I mean, that's what "I" do. And it really simplifies my life, too.

KevinM

You flip that sucker all the way back toward the bridge and never, ever touch it again.

I mean, that's what "I" do. And it really simplifies my life, too.

Kick it all the way back and move your plucking hand up or down to adjust the tone a little.

You have to try settings that fit what you like to play so experiment with full forward for a little softer drive and less definition and all the way back for a sharper drive with more definition.

Alex BASS-ITA

Uhm...I just asked how we can use this switch depending of style...I know it is my choose...but, for example, if I’d like a rickenbacker sound? A reggae sound? This switch can help me? I know the difference between positions...I’d like to know your set

tbonesullivan

Uhm...I just asked how we can use this switch depending of style...I know it is my choose...but, for example, if I’d like a rickenbacker sound? A reggae sound? This switch can help me? I know the difference between positions...I’d like to know your set

You really aren't going to get a Rickenbacker sound out of a stingray.

That said you really need to sit down and experiment with the effect of where you play the strings on the sound, as well as how the EQ can shape the sound. Depending on how you play the strings, what works for one person may not work for you. Your amplifier setup also has a good amount of influence on your final sound.

drTStingray

Hi everyone, I would like advice on the selector on the stingray bass.
I have a stingray 5 2009 ... I would like to have some advice: how do you use the selector based on the musical styles, the eq ... can you give me some advice?

thank you!

Switch pointing to the bridge = classic Stingray sound
Switch pointing to the neck = more complex sound with more mid range - perhaps even a more Fender like sound but with proper balls to it - this is what to use with crunchy guitar or if your keyboard player gets into the bass frequencies too often - or if you're having trouble cutting in a studio mix. I'd say it's a good go to rock sound.
Switch at centre = single coil - good setting for Jaco style sound (though the classic Stingray setting does it as well also with the right playing style) - it's a slightly thinner sound but very usable (Bovinehost please avert your gaze now.....) - it's great for jazz - especially walking bass and solos - if you're v adventurous something like Teen Town - though I use the bridge position if I play that.

As for EQ each to their own but I set the bass and treble just above centre and mid range cut - up to 50% below centre - I then use the treble to get more high sizzle (eg Tim Commerford early RATM), the mid range to get more presence and clarity in the mix, and boost the bass more for reggae.

Your playing style, plucking position and both left and right hand muting technique will make a significant difference to the sound but rule of thumb is towards the neck for bassier (eg reggae), to the bridge for more funky/poppy/staccato sound - watching Berbard Edwards's technique, he plucked hard and between the pick up and bridge.

And of course, you have to use the B string as your thumb rest on a 5 - to stop it ringing under your sound rather like bag pipes - when you're not playing it.

Best bet is to experiment - we all play differently and that's the most important thing.

Last edited:

Golem

It just doesn’t work that way... it only makes MM sounds. Lizzin to it and pick your poison ! What doesn’t make you stronger kills you. Welcome aboard.

Golem

I tend to ignore controls unless accidentally set reeeeeeally weirdly. Tone is such a minor issue to me cuz audiences can’t tell schidt from schinola anywho.

If it sounds good it is good ... and if it’s NOT good, the fault is seldom about knobs and switches.

Top Bottom