• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rickyzicky

Some years ago, a bass player named Joel DiBartolo was one of the first players to "endorse" MM. He was given basses by Leo Fender to play and collaborate.
He was the bass player for Johnny Carson for many years.

He and my father were best friends.
When hearing I was playing and planning to attend Berklee College of music, Joel send me a prototype that he and Leo worked on. This was about 1980 ish.
He also sent one to Tony Levin who used it for many years.

My question...
I still have this bass and it's in the same condition and case as when I first got it. I know nothing about these and am looking for guidance as to how to find information about it's value and vintage.

I have no plans to get rid of it because it's sentimental.

Both my father and Joel have since passed away so some of this is as best as I can remember.

It was a Sabre bass. When I received it, the neck was rattling/warped and Joel sent a new Stingray neck that stayed on it all these years.

Any suggestions where to look or start?

danny-79

If you could post some detailed photos that would help loads.

Gav (Rod Trussbroken) will possibly have a good idea of the bass in question with it being pre EB

KevinM

That bass has some history.
I think I remember there being a book with Leo's notes about some of the early days that Rod might be able to elaborate on.
I remember a thread revived a few years ago with some of the old days information in it.

Top Bottom