• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

swipesy

Just today I saw what I've been looking for. Or at least I hope so! I've been looking a very long time for a 24" scale guitar with a 2-point trem, and SBMM is now offering one. Happy dance time!

I am referring to the newly-released SBMM Cutlass Short Scale. I'll be ordering one as soon as possible and can't wait to try it out. I used to own a Sterling Silo3 and even had an EBMM Silhouette for a while. I loved the style and overall playability of those but just couldn't get past the scale length. I have small hands and prefer short-scale guitars and basses as those are simply easier for me to fret. I've owned 24.75" scale guitars for years but once I played a 24" scale I was hooked. Sure, Fender makes short scale Mustangs with trems but I don't like those trems at all. Plus, I've installed piezo saddles in my guitars for years with a self-designed acoustic/electric circuit and you can't put piezos on those trems. The Cutlass trem allows for that which is very cool.

I don't know if anyone here has one of those Cutlass short scales but I'll let you all know what I think of them when I get my hands on one. I'll be ordering the mint green version sometime soon.

Thanks SBMM! You have made me a happy person. I just hope it's as good as the Silo3 I had was before I upgraded that one. (The Cutlass would be upgraded as well.)

Cheers!

dibart77

Hmm, this is interesting. 24" scale? I have heard of 24.75 (Gibson) scale length. But 24"? I'd be interested to see the guitar next to a Silo and next to a full size Cutlass...

tbonesullivan

Hmm, this is interesting. 24" scale? I have heard of 24.75 (Gibson) scale length. But 24"? I'd be interested to see the guitar next to a Silo and next to a full size Cutlass...
I think the most well known 24" scale instrument out there is the Fender Jaguar, followed by the Fender Mustang.

In fact those are the only two I can really think of.

GWDavis28

In on of the NAMM videos for Sterling by Music Man, they mentioned that BP had asked them to make it.

Glenn |B)

swipesy

I'm pretty sure this would have a slightly smaller body than a standard 25.5" Cutlass. It will be interesting to see, should be here on Friday.

John C

I think the most well known 24" scale instrument out there is the Fender Jaguar, followed by the Fender Mustang.

In fact those are the only two I can really think of.

There are a couple of other Fenders - the MusicMaster, the DuoSonic, and the Bronco were all 24" scale. Actually some of these were available with 22.5" scale as well (MusicMaster and DuoSonic, maybe even the Mustang for a year or two).

Also a very famous one-off guitar is 24" scale - Brian May's Red Special (and its clones/copies over the years).

dibart77

Huh... who knew? I have been playing guitar for 35 years and I have never heard of 24" scale. Admittedly, I have been an EBMM-only guy from 1997 and honestly don't think I've ever played a Fender guitar, much less a 24" scale Fender...

GWDavis28

I saw these when they dropped at NAMM and though the looked kind of cool. What's the deal with the shorter scale, what makes it that different?

Thanx, Glenn |B)

swipesy

I saw these when they dropped at NAMM and though the looked kind of cool. What's the deal with the shorter scale, what makes it that different?
To me it's simply comfortability. With shorter fingers it's easier to reach fret spacings lower on the neck and it's not a short enough scale with regard to fret distances for most people with small hands in the upper registers. Put a bit heavier strings on it and the sustain approaches that of a standard 25.5", assuming all other factors are the same, and the sound isn't that much different. At least to me, anyway.

GWDavis28

Swipesy, thanx man, I wonder is EBMM might be coming out with something at some point where they made the short scale bass.

Glenn |B)

swipesy

Swipesy, thanx man, I wonder is EBMM might be coming out with something at some point where they made the short scale bass.
Personally, I would love nothing more than for EBMM to release a similar guitar with the quality and reputation of EBMM guitars. I actually had two EBMM Silhouettes at different times but ultimately sold them. I would prefer slightly different specs on any EBMM short scale myself but would still buy one with the same specs as the Sterling.

GWDavis28

So which one are you up for?

https://sterlingbymusicman.com/pages/cutlas-short-scale

CTSS30HS-MG-M1-FRONT.png

CTSS30HS-SPK-M1-FRONT.png

Glenn |B)

swipesy

I ordered the mint green. If that one is as good as I hope, once I get it modded I may look into getting a pink one too for alternate tunings or whatever. :)

GWDavis28

I ordered the mint green. If that one is as good as I hope, once I get it modded I may look into getting a pink one too for alternate tunings or whatever. :)

What are your modding plans? I see it comes with solid saddles, nice!!

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

swipesy

Well, I have a few things planned, as I do with all my guitars. Even the Silhouettes I had. For this one I will be adding locking tuners and piezo saddles for acoustic tones along with a self-designed, self-built preamp which offers four different acoustic tones by using a 3-way mini switch and push-pull pot. I'll also be adding a third control so it will have separate magnetic and acoustic volumes plus an active magnetic pickup blend. No tone control, I never use it anyway.

GWDavis28

Wow :eek:, cool, can't wait to A.) see what you think and 2.) see how it ends up.

Glenn |B)

Tollywood

Those would be perfect for young kids learning to play without struggling so much. Fantastic. Great colors, too. Obviously, I would choose the pink one.

GWDavis28

Those would be perfect for young kids learning to play without struggling so much. Fantastic. Great colors, too. Obviously, I would choose the pink one.

Tollie, I liked that one as well myself. ;)

Glenn |B)

swipesy

Wow :eek:, cool, can't wait to A.) see what you think and 2.) see how it ends up.
It's now showing out for delivery so I'll be posting a NGD thread about it once I get it, check it out, take photos, etc., so look for that.

Top Bottom