• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

swipesy

Hello everyone. I received a new Sterling Cutlass Short Scale on Friday, and though there were some initial issues (mostly with me, not the guitar) it's a definite keeper.

Out of the box it wasn't very good at all, though that's to be expected with a budget guitar. However, once I swapped the tuners for locking versions taken off an old Sterling Silo, properly cut the nut, adjusted the string height and gave it the best intonation I could, it's now enjoyable to play. Intonation isn't finished though, it was very flat out of the box. I have to get longer saddle screws before I can get it dialed in like I want. A couple of the saddles are at the extreme end of their travel without coming off the screws.

As for actual size, it's about the same size overall as the Silo even though the scale is 1.5 inches shorter. Fit and finish were actually quite good for a budget guitar, I didn't see any finish problems to worry about but there were a few areas on the neck that will need a little finish sanding. The trem seems pretty good. I swapped the tuners when I put new strings on it so I can't say anything about those. It has a 3-way switch, not a 5-way as described on the Sterling site. As expected, the pickups aren't good. The bridge pickup is quite muddy and dark. The neck pickup isn't great either, but it's better than the bridge. Volume, tone and the switch worked ok. It has a barrel-style output jack on a jack plate. It has the usual Sterling/EBMM style 5-screw neck plate. The neck seems to be more of a D than a C. The frets weren't sharp or anything, they were honestly not bad at all. That's not to say it couldn't use a fret fress, but it is certainly playable as is.

All in all, I'd give it a 7 out of 10 based on the price. There are good and bad points, but the biggest "good" part is it's a great foundation on which to mod!

As far as that goes, here are my plans - which is pretty standard for me with all my guitars:

1. Locking tuners already done. I always use them, even with Floyd locking nuts. It just makes string changes easier.

2. Replace the nut with either graphite or bone and add a little sauce.

3. Set the tremolo to float.

4. Replace the pickups (SD JB and 'Lil 59).

5. Add Graph Tech Ghost piezo saddles for acoustic sounds.

6. Install a self-designed, self-built preamp for piezo and magnetic pickups. (I can provide more detail on that if anybody cares.)

That's about it, unless I decide to change out the pickguard or something. Once finished I think it will end up being my go-to guitar. It's very comfortable on my small hands.

Would I recommend it? Yes, I would, but be prepared to cut the nut, lower the strings and intonate if for best playability. Don't even think about using the trem until the nut is taken care of, it will go wildly out of tune.

I've added some eye candy below. Cheers!

body-front.jpg back.jpg bridge.jpg edge.jpg

Attachments

• headstock-front.jpg
    headstock-front.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

threeminutesboy

I completely missed the announcement of this one during Namm 2020. Thanks for the head up. Nice mods indeed. would like to know more about the preamp and graph tech saddles. Are you going to drill the trem for the cables or you leave them go underneath from the from of the trem?

swipesy

I completely missed the announcement of this one during Namm 2020. Thanks for the head up. Nice mods indeed. would like to know more about the preamp and graph tech saddles. Are you going to drill the trem for the cables or you leave them go underneath from the from of the trem?
I'll be drilling the trem plate for the wires as I always do. It's more work and costs a bit in drill bits, but it's worth it to me in the end for appearance purposes. For drilling I use several 1/8" glass and tile bits. They're the only thing I found so far to cut through the hardened steel though they do wear quite quickly even with lubricant and a slow speed.

I prefer the following control set on my piezo-equipped guitars: Magnetic volume control, magnetic pickup blend control, acoustic volume control with push-pull, standard 3-way pickup selector, 3-way on-off-on mini-switch for acoustic tones, and two on-on mini switches to select series/parallel for magnetic pickups. No tone control, I never use it anyway.

Re the preamp:

I've had people tell me in the past that on on-board preamps hurt the dynamics of pickups, or explained different reasons why they are bad. I've never heard any difference myself with an FET-based preamp, and an op-amp-based preamp doesn't sound any different to me either. Plus, a lot of those same people then told me they use pedals in between the guitar and amp which is the same difference really. I simply prefer having a preamp as it provides me with a particular feature I like: The active blend control. A passive blend control which normally uses a dual-gang pot works ok, but the middle setting puts both pickups in parallel which slightly cancels out the sound of each pickup because it's being done with high impedance. It's the same principle with wiring pickups in either series or parallel. Wiring parallel at high impedance is mostly what causes the difference in tone. Plus, if you use a passive blend control with a 3-way switch properly there is a very slight increase in volume when one pickup is turned off. It's not very noticeable but I can hear it. A properly-designed active blend control eliminates both of those issues. Not only that, but using buffers means a pickup's high impedance is converted to low impedance so low-value pots can be used and it also lowers the noise floor. Granted, humbucking pickups don't produce a lot of noise, but anything you can do to lower noise from high-impedance pickups is a good thing. Single-coil pickups are much worse, but there's a solution for that as well if one doesn't mind using op-amps.

Anyway, attached is a signal flow chart for one of my preamps. Normally I use Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups which are pretty well balanced. With this guitar I'll be using the JB and a 'Lil 59 and don't know if that combination is balanced or not. I'll be testing that. If not, and assuming the 'Lil 59 isn't as hot as the JB, I'll change that pickup's FET configuration to allow a proper amount of gain so both pickups are matched.

Let me know if any questions. :)

preamp.png

Last edited:

swipesy

I had those on a parts guitar, they're already installed on the Sterling. I got them from Carvin back in the day. They also used tuners with two pin locating pins instead of screws. Kiesel has them now, they're $10 each.

Last edited:

swipesy

I just ordered the Graph Tech Ghost Piezo saddles and will work on drilling the bridge plate holes in the next few days.

TripHazard

Just in case it’s helpful to anyone you can order 4 over 2 sets from Schaller, but also Gotoh and Graphtech. The ya re special order but you can get them and they don’t charge you more for it. Just replaced all mine with Gotoh
I’ll actually have a Schaller set up for sale post quarantine

Lee.

PRS player experimenting with Short Scale guitars

I just ordered the Graph Tech Ghost Piezo saddles and will work on drilling the bridge plate holes in the next few days.

I'm very interested to see what you're doing, or have done, with your shorty. I'm primarily a PRS player, but have been messing around and modding some short scale Squier's recently. I have smaller hands, but also, a childhood injury to my left hand changes the way I have to hold the neck. It's painful in certain situations so I always buy guitars paying special attention to the neck. Now I'm looking at scale length as well. You're mods sound great. I'm always looking at my guitars and wondering how I can improve it, or just do something I've never seen done before. I seem to like unnecessarily complicating things for myself haha.
And, this will be my first Ernie Ball guitar, so I'm looking forward to seeing that straight pull headstock up close. I imagine there's a plastic nut on this model, but after a new proper nut, locking tuners, and general setup, I imagine it'll stay in tune even with the trem.

LAdude

I'm a newbie here. You've given some good tips, thanks! My question is: If you've changed the pickups or looked under 'the hood', can you pls. tell me what pickup route does the HS have?

Top Bottom