• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bbjonz

No, not Steve’s weight...

Just bought a 2013 Morse standard and really like the guitar. I figured with the slab body and the amount of hardware that it couldn’t be as light as my Val, Silo HSH, and AL HH, all under 7lbs. My Morse weighs 8lbs on the dot. It doesn’t feel that heavy on the strap but I surely notice it when I pick up the Val or one of my other, lighter guitars.

So, I’m curious. What does your Morse standard weigh? The MM website doesn’t list an average weight for it as it does for other models. Can’t imagine there’s one out there that weighs less than 7lbs but, as the Tootsie Pop Owl famously said, let’s find out.

Joe

Last edited:

banjoplayer

Mine is about 3.6 kg, so I guess similar to yours (8lbs).... an average Strat is similar....

Tommy Alderson played it once (guitar tech for Steve Morse) and mentioned it would be a light one.
I really don´t know much because I only had few other Morses in my hands - never thought they were heavy.

Of course my Albert Lee is light as a feather, my reflex is a little lighter than my Morse. But my SUB1 is heavy (4+kg)!

bbjonz

Thanks, guys. Good to know that mine is on the lighter side, or at least average. I really like the way it plays and sounds, and I suspect I can get used to the weight.

Banjoplayer, I have a 2004 hardtail Strat that weighs 7.1 lbs—searched high and low for it. Of course, my Silo SSS, which weighs a few ounces more, plays rings around it and sounds much better.

fbecir

Mine is about 3.6 kg, so I guess similar to yours (8lbs).... an average Strat is similar....

Tommy Alderson played it once (guitar tech for Steve Morse) and mentioned it would be a light one.
I really don´t know much because I only had few other Morses in my hands - never thought they were heavy.

Of course my Albert Lee is light as a feather, my reflex is a little lighter than my Morse. But my SUB1 is heavy (4+kg)!

Well, that's funny.
The Morse and the SUB are quite similar : a poplar body, a maple neck and no beer belly or arm cutaway ...

But my Morse is on the heavy side (>4kg), my SUB is very light (3.2 kg).
And for Banjoplayer, it is the contrary :eek:

banjoplayer

But my Morse is on the heavy side (>4kg), my SUB is very light (3.2 kg).
And for Banjoplayer, it is the contrary :eek:
strange....

Read somewhere (here?) that they may have used woods for the SUBs that couldn´t be used for regular models because of imperfections or weight.... So I assumed, weight may have been the reason, why my SUB-body became a SUB and not a Morse. But that doesn´t make sense for your very light SUB?!

On the other hand: my SUB1 sounds great, the weight doesn´t matter. But I don´t gig it very often. For this I prefer lighter guitars

Fontanz

I always look for light Morse models since I got some back issues.
-heaviest I ever owned ca. 8400 lb
-lightest one, still mine, 7156 lb

The Y2Ds are a bit heavier in general, but there are some light ones also...

jlf599

I just weighed my Morse BFR HH - came in at 7lbs 6.4oz., just for another data point.

Razzle

My SMY2D weighs a whopping 9.25 lbs! I love the guitar, wish it weighed a bit less, but it's in the les paul territory. Hard to believe really being a strat kinds style body.

Top Bottom