• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

baske

At this moment I use a Markbass 121P With a extra 12 inch Markbass Cab.
But now I do recordings, I found that the Stingray sound much better through my earphones than through the Markbass.
What amp/cab should I buy for a better sound?
Suggestions?

danny-79

StingRay’s sound great through anything.
Ampeg SVT of some description with the 810 is classic.
All my amp heads are class D with either 115 or 410 or both.
But it’s all personal choice at the end of the day. No right or wrong answer

strummer

Enormous Member
I use an Aguilar DB750/GS212 combination, but as Danny said Stingrays should sound good through anything, and since markbass has made a lot of amps for Musicman should not be an exception. That said, the Markbass amps have controls that can drastically alter the sound, so maybe you need to research the tone controls (like the VLE and VPF knobs), because if i recall correctly those should NOT be at noon if you want uncolored sound.

five7

I used markbass for years. Grew tired of the sound they put out and sold them. I have used aguilar tonehammer 500, ampeg svt, genz benz and gk since. All of these heads sound better to me. I used the aggy and svt thru a mark classis 108. That sounded great, I like their cabs just not the sterile sound of the amps. My favorite though was thru a mesa walkabout head into a bergantino 410 cab. A little grit, thick low end and rich harmonics.

DrMatthewCross

Try Quilter Bass Block 800, or 802.
I have the BB800 and I always leave it flat when using my Ray. Super simple to use, very "transparent" when set flat. It just works.
My cab is a Barefaced Super Midget, which shares the same characteristics: it's relatively flat, it's simple, it's poweful, super light and it just works.

Fro

I play mine thru a Fractal that gives me several bass amps.
I’d like to try the Mesa WD800.

Golem

If you want a clean straight forward tone kinda like headphones try an Acoustic Image combo. Very popular for gigging URBs and for jazz geetar cuz it’s very clean.

mouth

I play mine through Gallien Krueger 2001RB and 410 RBH (sometimes 2 of those cabs together) and love it. GK RB amps with either RBH cabs or an Ampeg 810 + Stingray are classic growly tone.

Golem

Seems most replies just love their fave loud stage rig but they ignore the OP concern about the different needs involved for clean recording.

Last edited:

brash47

I've been enamored with my Fender Rumble 40 Studio. It has all the connections you need for a clean throughput into a recording rig. I use my phone to program what model amp I want to model and all the effects I need.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

danny-79

Seems most replies just love their fave loud stage rig but they ignore the OP concern about the different needs involved for clean recording.

Can’t remember the last time I recorded any bass in a studio and used an amp at all. It was the late 90’s I think.
Shame really.
Studio these days a decent lead is all you really need.

Live recording maybe?

StringJay

Out of all the amps I have owned, I'd say the one with the most clear and unchanged sound of the bass was an EBS Fafner. They make great cabs as well, but I'm not sure whether you'll need that when recording.

baske

Finally made a choice. Is it the natural sound that I was after? I don't think. I bought the Ampeg PF410HLF. And I am pleased with it. A nice warm growl. I once had het SVT410 and was really mid-scooped. Nice mids and warm lows. As amp I still use the Markbass LMIII. This cab sound completely not as my 2 Markbass 12' cabs... I really like the thickness of the Ampeg without going 'boomy'

Last edited:

baske

Well, I'm started with that. But at this moment very disappointed. The ampeg cab gives a lot of frequenties that 'are' in the room. A kind of thickness. But could not yet record 'this feeling'. Maybe its even impossible to record this. I've use 2 mic's. One very close to the cabinet. And one condens mic for the room. But I'm 'still haven't found what I'm looking for' like Bono would say :)

strummer

Enormous Member
Any advice?

Ooooh, dangerous ground here...
But, ok, here are the things I might do.

A really good DI (I use the DI in my DB750), paired with a two mic setup, one bass (kick) dum mic and one normal dynamic. I'd use Sennheiser e902 and Shure SM57 (or Beta57). And here is my "trick" if you will: First I place the 57 so that the bass sounds it's best (closed headphone listening is good), and I don't really care about mic distance, just the sound of that mic making me as happy as possible. Then I place the 902 a bit off center to a bass cone, very close, to capture more low end.
Then I record, and afterwards I shift the SM57 track in my DAW to align perfectly with the 902 and the DI.
Oh, and I always use compression when recording, a Cali76-Tx to be exact. I know some people don't like recordning wet, but after i got the advice (from Craig Young no less) I got confident that i didn't do anything wrong, and i haven't looked back since. I think Craig said "Compression is a big part of my sound", and well he knows his stuff:)

But honestly, I record mostly usning just the DI on the Cali76 then through Overloud TH-U with an Aguilar DB750 sound:)

Top Bottom