• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

banjoplayer

In my experience, the only "equivalent" to a proper tele sound & feel is a proper tele style instrument.....

I´ll second that. Years ago (before the introduction of the Valentine) BP said here, clostest to an Tele would be the AL. In my opinion the ALis somewhere between a Strat and a Tele, and a kind of its own. An AL is a wonderful guitar but not as raw as a Tele can be.

Well, the Steve Morse model is based on what was once upon a time a Tele...

Steve Morse´s Frankenstein Tele was heavily modded. It had a Tele body, but there it ended. No Tele bridge, no Tele single coil in the bridge. The EBMM Morse has not much in common with a Tele.

bmorepunk

I'm glad EBMM has no Telecaster type of guitar. They already play a bit in the strat/superstrat territory (mostly with the Cutlass and Luke), and that's already enough.

There are so many tele and strat copies (from the cheap to the super-expensive custom) and tweaks being produced by so many companies. EBMM is different enough in what they do that it's not just quality production guitar or bass being produced, it's different. And they do new/innovative things.

As far as EBMMs go, I only play StingRays. I know they're based on the original 70s models, but these things are kind of weird. They have massive butt ends on them, are kind of offset, and have a two vintage-ish humbuckers. The switch is in that Les Paul spot. It's sort of a hybrid of things between a Fender Jazzmaster and a Gibson SG (and a little LP). Not only does it play really well but it has a lot of the things I like from different guitars crammed together into one.

Another version of a Telecaster just seems like the brewery situation where I live: I can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. I don't like shredder guitars but that Majesty is wild; you keep doing that EBMM. This world is well-served by St. Vincents, Mariposas, Valentines, and Albert Lees. There are enough Telecasters and Les Pauls.

Fro

I sold my Tele after buying a Valentine. It's like a humbucker necked Tele with a sweeter sounding bridge pickup.

xjbebop

The closest MM Tele I've heard is one of my AL's that I modded a few years back. I'm super happy with it and love to play it. It comes pretty close, but it's still not the same thing...

cDisymO.jpg

bbjonz

Tele Equivalent?

For the most part I agree that a Tele is a Tele and never the twain shall meet. Whatever that means...

The Val and SM are close enough where I'd happily use them to cover my Tele needs. Here's my Val, in front of my '66 Tele (a refin but good one), G&L ASAT Deluxe SH, and ASAT SH (with Lollers). I almost always reach for the Val or Deluxe SH, and tho both sound great, they ain't quite as spanky as a Tele. I just played the '66 through my AXE FX III with the '59 Bassman patch and nothing sounds quite like that.

Joe

kSz5Pqrl.jpg

TripHazard

There’s always the option of an Albert Lee with Johnny Highland Six Shooter singles pickups in. Check his videos out where he has them in axis sport

Tollywood

The closest MM Tele I've heard is one of my AL's that I modded a few years back. I'm super happy with it and love to play it. It comes pretty close, but it's still not the same thing...

cDisymO.jpg

Oh man, that is a sweet Albert. Well done. I love it.

Kvaksalver

I'd be SO tempted to have a custom bridge plate made, to complete the Tele look. Still, that is a sweet looking AL!

Pain-Free Music

What do you all feel is the Tele equivalent in the EBMM line?

My Axis Sport HSS gets really close to Tele sound. It's got the single coil for the neck, and then the middle position splits the bridge humbucker and gives you the neck single coil + bridge single coil to give you the tele middle position.

The last position on the way switch gives you the full humbucker. But for me, the single coil in the bridge position is my second least favorite guitar sound. (First being the middle single coil by itself.) So I don't mind that.

Also, the Axis Sport is made of Ash, and a maple neck, so it has the brightness that most teles have since Fender did make a lot of them out of Ash with maple necks. (Which they announced they will no longer due except for custom shop ones since the Ash supply is heading towards extinction.)

If you can find a used Axis Sport in HSS or with the MM-90's (Music Man's P-90s) I think you will get that tele sound you're looking for!

Top Bottom