• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jl2112

Has anyone attempted putting the axis pickups in a Les Paul? If so whats your opinion of the results?

hbucker

I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing it could sound really good. A sound that's kind of a cross between a PAF and a Super Distortion? I've never checked to see if the Axis/EVH pickups can be mounted to traditional rings. - Could be a factor.

Stevie

Not sure it will work well. A LP mahogany body may be too dark for the PU so you will definitely not get the same tonally quality as from an Axis, if that is what you are after. Bear in mind also that the Axis bridge PU is F-Spaced, the LP bridge is not, I stand corrected however.

Flash Gordon

I have some Axis PDNs and BFRs that are mahogany bodied. It’s a slightly fuller sound, but nothing that a quick twist on the EQ cannot overcome.

I for one, would love to hear it.

Stratty316

Not sure it will work well. A LP mahogany body may be too dark for the PU so you will definitely not get the same tonally quality as from an Axis, if that is what you are after. Bear in mind also that the Axis bridge PU is F-Spaced, the LP bridge is not, I stand corrected however.

These pickups are used in the HHAL. They sound fantastic in the African Mahogany (Okume) body. I also have them in an Axis Sport with an Ash body, same deal. They are pretty great pickups all round.

e.mate

I know that some of you guys will jump at me, but the body wood has near to zero impact on the sonic result in an electric (!) guitar.... #smartass #italkedtotheluthiers #italkedtothetech :cool:

hbucker

I know that some of you guys will jump at me, but the body wood has near to zero impact on the sonic result in an electric (!) guitar.... #smartass #italkedtotheluthiers #italkedtothetech :cool:

You really are asking for it! :)

I agree that the wood in the guitar should not effect how good the Axis pickups function in a given guitar. Great pickups are great pickups. ...Yet not everyone likes the same thing.

tbonesullivan

Only way to find out is to try it. The SD JB pickup was originally designed for a Strat, but you see it used in a lot of Les Paul type guitars. Some love it, some hate it.

Top Bottom