• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bill S

A few weeks back I took delivery of my first EBMM guitar - a 2008 JP6 piezo in true gold. Haven't put it down - head and shoulders the best guitar in terms of pure quality I have owned in 40 years.

So, what would you recommend for my second EBMM? My main thing is recording in my studio, and 90% of the time I turn to my US Fender Strat deluxe. I love cleaner tones/point of break-up stuff, and so I'd love to get something from the MusicMan range that does that Strat thing, but with its own take on it.

What would you recommend?

elvisdog

that would be the Cutlass -- best Strat I've ever played, and I've owned a dozen or more. Mine is a maple fretboard SSS and it plays effortlessly & sounds great. My current #1 and it's put some nice guitars back in their cases.

Tollywood

Hello Bill.

My son’s dream guitar was a Strat. He’s had a BFR Axis for ten years that I bought him when he was 13. But, he loves Hendrix and SRV so he wanted a Strat.

So, I just bought him a Music Man Cutlass roasted maple for his college graduation present. If I may be so bold, I think it out Strats a Strat. It’s way more comfortable with the contoured heel and the pickups are sublime. Stainless steel frets are wonderful, too.

He no longer wants a Strat.

I hope this helps you.

Oh, an Albert Lee SSS would also be a fine choice. Good luck.

AD716511-A5-CA-4-F23-ACEE-89-DFF0-ADD20-C.png

Here is my Albert Lee. This thing is as close to a Strat as you will find in my collection.

C69388-A6-06-F5-4772-8-AB4-9-CBAFB34779-C.png

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If HSS is OK, Silhouette Special and Cutlass are way better than a strat, and I did over 1000 gigs with a strat I loved, so I know what I'm talking about. :) Once I got the Silo in my hands, Strat stayed in its case and was used for parts for students.

TripHazard

Yeah, the Cutlass and the SSS Albert Lee are sublime.
If you like to use piezo a lot, you might want to look at the Hunter Hayes Cutlass

Last edited:

Stratty316

If HSS is OK, Silhouette Special and Cutlass are way better than a strat, and I did over 1000 gigs with a strat I loved, so I know what I'm talking about. :) Once I got the Silo in my hands, Strat stayed in its case and was used for parts for students.

I second the Silhouette Special. It does the “strat” thing, but isn’t a strat. If your not selling your strat you will have the “strat sound” and the Silhouette Special will live in those spaces in between. Position 4 (neck and middle pickup) has a dirty-gritty sound that’s easily become my favorite. The Silo Spec is a must have EBMM in my opinion. The Axis and HH Albert Lee are great choices as well.

mb99zz

I have a silo special sss and would say it can get those sounds. I used to have an Albert Lee with three MM90s and it could produce some great clean sounds as well.

I also think the Axis Super Sport is a pretty versatile guitar that does clean sounds well. The five way switch gives lots of options. I loved mine — just wasn’t super comfortable without the tummy cut and forearm contour. That’s the only reason I sold it.

Sweat

Yep all the responses are true but IMO Cutlass is the best, blows a Strat away, AL SSS is second, what I use and a Silo Special is last but killer

Bill S

This is great information, thanks for taking the time to reply. In an ideal world, I’d like to sit down in a store for half a day and try out five or six different models, then make a choice. Obviously not possible right now, but how do I find out where a good selection is available? I’ve been on the Ernie Ball website and I’m still none the wiser for dealers in either Spain or the UK - maybe I’ve missed something. Any guidance here greatly appreciated.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I’m drawn towards the Cutlass. That said, of all the features I enjoy on my JP6, it’s the wonderful pickups that I’m most in love with, so I would love to compare Strat type models for myself if I could.

TripHazard

If you are in the UK Peach will likely have the most stock, but really not an awful lot kept in stock and ready to go in the UK. All mine were bough unplayed- sounds affects and project music are both greats dealer to work with in terms of treating you fairly and good deals. At least that is my experience

Edit - except my Hunter Hayes. My mate in the US bought it and shipped it to me cos it wasn’t available here at the time and I was too impatient to wait

Bill S

Thanks, yes in reality I will probably end up buying blind as I suspect there’s nowhere in the UK or Spain with an extensive selection in stock. I’ve no qualms over quality, and am not particularly fussy about the feel of the neck, in fact I enjoy the variety in the guitars I do own. It’s perhaps more tone thing really.

Bill S

Whatever the first one, the second one has to be an Albert Lee...
Respect what you are saying, I’m just not loving the shape! I would love to try one right alongside a Cutlass though, because having only seen Albert Lees in photos, the playing experience may change my mind!

Magic Jason

Bought my first one really cheap... I was planning to sell it asap and cash a few hundreds... But I have since then sold all my other guitars and have no desire to ever play on another guitar... But I shall admit : you either love or hate its shape.

Last edited:

Jamie M

Respect what you are saying, I’m just not loving the shape! I would love to try one right alongside a Cutlass though, because having only seen Albert Lees in photos, the playing experience may change my mind!

I hear you. The AL has a lot of love but i cannot get on board with the shape either. As the others have said the Cutlass is a great option.

Top Bottom