• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tollywood

Hello everyone. This NGD is actually regarding my son Eric’s new Cutlass RS. He’s not a member of the forum.

Eric just graduated from college and Wendy and I gave him this sweet Cutlass. He has had a wonderful BFR redwood topped Axis for the last nine years and this is his first guitar since then! He still has the Axis.

340-DEEF0-20-EB-4376-B34-A-2-E60-B672-FB91.jpg

His two main influences are Hendrix and SRV so I knew he was interested in that Strat vibe. I just felt that if I got him a Strat, he would be disappointed with the giant neck heel. They have pretty boring wood at this price point, too. You need to spend $5,000 to get a Strat that I would want (relic).

AD716511-A5-CA-4-F23-ACEE-89-DFF0-ADD20-C.png

Tollywood

4 + 2 headstock, locking tuners, vastly superior tremolo, silent circuit, smooth neck heel, roasted neck with stainless frets, and a solitary tone knob.

These are the features that allow me to say with confidence that the Cutlass out-Strats a Strat.

Sweat

Congrats to your son and family, graduating college is quite an accomplishment and nice gift, that will go will with his other guitar;):cool:

TripHazard

BTW - your son not only has a cool Cutlass but a cool beard to go with it. It’s like two times cool. Everyone knows a beard makes you play better.
Beard bros unite! Remember:
“Beard lives matter: save them, don’t shave them”

loocnmad

What a cool way to mark the occasion. Congrats to your son on graduation and the new addition.

On a side note, what's up with your floors? :)

Tollywood

Thank you for the kinds words, guys. Yeah, Eric has had a beard since high school. It’s a keeper.

Floor looks like quilted maple...
I want to know what that amp head is to the left

Hahaha, my floor is a plywood subfloor. That room has been under construction for a couple of years (on weekends) and I moved my gear in there before buying hardwoods.

49-A8-B97-A-1-E38-4-E50-894-F-EDC9-E5-ABA709.jpg

BA77497-A-899-F-46-AC-B73-C-A3-E9-E6056895.jpg

0917-C992-1893-4-B75-9-C17-690-F76-E287-D3.jpg

The amp on the left is a Roccaforte Custom 80 watt. The amp you are asking about is a Paul Reed Smith 25th Anniversary 50 watt. Paul hired an amp guru named Doug Sewell to go through Eric Johnson’s 1968 Marshall Plexi head and replicate it. This is the fruit of his efforts. Instead of having four inputs and criss crossing little patch cables as you would on a Plexi, Doug developed two gain knobs, one for treble and one for bass, to have complete tone shaping control.

Top Bottom