• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BillLorentzen

I use my GC on virtually every gig I play. It’s my all-time favorite guitar, but two things I don’t dig are that it’s not a double cut away and that it’s pretty heavy (especially for 4 hour gigs).

I’m thinking of buying another and modding the body thusly:

1. Cut away a section from the upper bout for thumb reach, and possibly even add some “horn” length to the upper bout.
2. Replace top with a nice quilt slab
3. Reduce body mass and weight with either more chambering or edge-rounding or circumference reduction (body slimming). The best approach would be determined once the top is off.

Comments or suggestions?

beej

Hey- figure this might get more traction in the guitars section (rather than the GC sub-forum).

That's a lot of work ... but it's certainly yours to mod. A nice top would be a huge addition. Personally I would have loved to see a GC with a figured top. (Like the 25ths.)

Since it's already chambered, I'm not sure how much extra reduction you'd get. And beyond any sonic changes, the balance could be thrown off.

Anyhow, very interested to hear what you decide to do!

banjoplayer

that sounds challenging.
how heavy is your GC? I own a reflex and it´s a rather light guitar (didn´t weigh it ´but assume between 3,2 and 3,5 kg). As I think it is not known for to be an heavy guitar - maybe you could find a lighter one?

threeminutesboy

That’s a crazy amount of work!!! And as a 25th owner I confirm they are not more than 3,5 kg trem version.

Is the weight coming from extra electronic ? You can also swap the tuner knob for plastic one you save a bit of weight here. The Problem is any structural changes you will do may affect the tone of your beloved instrument.

Top Bottom