• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bill S

As some of you may have read in other threads, I’m new here and looking for my second EBMM.

I thought Ball Family Reserve models were the sort of “pinnacle” for want of a better expression. However, I’ve read elsewhere (FB comments) words to the effect that whilst some BFRs are really special, others are more “run of the mill”. I think it was mentioned all JP13s were BFRs.

Anyway, I’m in the market for a Cutlass, and I’ve seen one 2018 BFR model, brand new, for sale for several hundred pounds less than a non-BFR. Confusing to a newcomer. If I’m going to splash out on a new EBMM, I am tempted to go all out and try to get a BFR, and/or a nice roasted maple neck and fretboard, but I am now in need of more guidance on this BFR thing...what does it “buy you”?

TripHazard

Do it. The BFRs do have a little something extra. The first cutlass BFRs were magic. One had a full rosewood neck. What the one you are looking at?

Sweat

BFR's can be and mean a lot of different things. Definetly most limited runs are BFR's

If you can find a Malibu gold limited run from a couple years ago grab it, sweet Cutlass!

Virtuoso

If you can find a Malibu gold limited run from a couple years ago grab it, sweet Cutlass!
There are two of those on Reverb right now. If it weren't for the neck binding, which I don't like, I would have bought one of them myself!

I have two BFRs - they are no better quality-wise, tone-wise or playability-wise than any of my other EBMMs, but that's only because the standard factory guitars are already so good! :)

Etudica

I love the older BFRs just for the inlay at the 12th fret! I am a sad man i know :)

Not sad... you're not alone! My JPXI is the only one I still have with the 12th fret inlay. I've considered selling it many times to purchase new BFRs (most recently the nebula majesty) but I just cant bring myself to do it everytime I see that BFR inlay. I love that design.

jones4tone

If it’s a BFR that catches your eye and meets your budget constraints, go for it. They generally offer something unique finish-wise, sometimes different electronics. You shouldn’t assume they’ll sound different/better to your ear than a non-BFR, but many are spectacular to look at.

LesPaul

Not sad... you're not alone! My JPXI is the only one I still have with the 12th fret inlay. I've considered selling it many times to purchase new BFRs (most recently the nebula majesty) but I just cant bring myself to do it everytime I see that BFR inlay. I love that design.
Same here
6b244eb3453b9e8924bf4e8000f57c7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GWDavis28

I love the older BFRs just for the inlay at the 12th fret! I am a sad man i know :)

Not to take away from this thread, at first I didn't like it, but once I had gotten one with it, I really liked it and miss seeing them. Too bad they aren't an option.

As for a BFR, like everyone says if it works for you, get it.

Glenn |B)

Bill S

I would buy that in a heartbeat
@trapperJ I did! Well, not quite a heartbeat. The guy I bought it from (an individual on Reverb with not a lot of “history”) was excellent to deal with. One thing he did was send me a 5 minute video showing me the guitar in huge detail and commenting as he went. That was a confidence booster for me, more so than just photos. Could not have gone more smoothly.

TripHazard

That’s awesome mate - great score. I’m a little envious I must say. :)
Funnily enough I sold one of my previous Cutlass to finance the Hunter Hayes and I did the same thing for the guy interested in buying it. Did a demo video going through all the switching and showing him what amp I was using and what settings so he knew what was occurring in context. He was well pleased and we did the sale. Personal touch goes a long way and shows yer not just a guy flipping guitars

Bill S

Yeah, it made me think if I ever sell a guitar again then video is the way to go. Thanks - it’s a cracking guitar. The only downside? It is a present for my upcoming “special” birthday from my wife and kids and Mrs S has now instructed me to put it in its case, and not open it again until I am officially presented with it on my actual birthday...in FIVE WEEKS TIME! However, I know, I know I am a very lucky man :)

I made a “consumer” suggestion about the JP shield inlays and I should have seen this first. I do love my cinnabar bfr maj, and the runway fretboard is totally me, giving my “consumer” ego exactly what it wanted. I love the no shields, the pearl on both sides of the fretboard... I struggled w justifying the bfr bs the factory production line... but I thank you for sharing: “if it speaks to you” and “the factory models are just that good”. I greatly appreciate that clarity. My BFR is a ♭eautiful thing! I mean, I was a little sad for Aprils BFR not having the runway fretboard... but that makes mine all the more special. Thanks, fam! I wondered why I liked the hot pink majesty in the vault, and it’s that “you” factor you all faithfully point out. Niiiice ::high fives, Ballers!::

Top Bottom