• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bill S

Hi all

Firstly, thank you for all your advice in helping me choose my second EBMM guitar. I took delivery of this Cutlass BFR in Malibu Gold today:

pfwT4Cv.jpg
[/IMG]
MSXZ9uZ.jpg
[/IMG]
AvUAIql.jpg
[/IMG]
TqRKZ64.jpg
[/IMG]

The guitar is gorgeous, but I need to adjust the string height - I have never done this before and I have no idea! There is noticeable buzzing up to about the 7th fret on the E, A and D strings. I do not mind a bit of string buzz, but the action does seem very low. No issue on the higher strings or on any strings higher than the 8th or 9th. I believe I need to turn the truss rod anticlockwise. I tried to use a hex key to do this, but it seemed very stiff, and I did not want to force it.

Fro

Adjust the truss rod to change neck relief (amount of neck bow).
Adjust saddle height to change the action.

mb99zz

Congrats on your guitar! Looks great!

Maybe reach out to Music Man and get their advice or find a good guitar tech if you’re not comfortable making the adjustments. It’s been a while since I adjusted the neck on one of my MM guitars, but I seem to recall it taking a little muscle to turn the wheel. It wasn’t super hard though. I also seem to recall that first time I turned it was harder than subsequent turns — but that could be mental.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The short allen wrench makes it feel stiff. And it may also be adjusted quite tight. I like to use a small screw driver that fits in the hole. Longer handle means easier turning. As you'll be loosening, I'm sure it'll be fine even if you need to put a little more effort in than you might think. Feel free to adjust your truss rod to your heart's content. It's easier and safer than making a bacon sandwich. Just do one thing - write down or keep track of each adjustment that you make so you can always go back to where you started.

Sweat

Very Nice congrats, take it to a good set up guy should be easy to get back to factory specs, the one I had was easy to play with no issues

TripHazard

Kudos
I’ve had a stiff one (oo-er) and was reluctant to apply too much pressure, but I braved it out and it was fine

Bill S

The short allen wrench makes it feel stiff. And it may also be adjusted quite tight. I like to use a small screw driver that fits in the hole. Longer handle means easier turning. As you'll be loosening, I'm sure it'll be fine even if you need to put a little more effort in than you might think. Feel free to adjust your truss rod to your heart's content. It's easier and safer than making a bacon sandwich. Just do one thing - write down or keep track of each adjustment that you make so you can always go back to where you started.

Thank you all sorted. Small screwdriver, one and a half holes anti clockwise, done. Any similar tips on bacon sandwiches gratefully received.

GWDavis28

Thank you all sorted. Small screwdriver, one and a half holes anti clockwise, done. Any similar tips on bacon sandwiches gratefully received.

I bought one ground the point off and keep in with my guitar stuff.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom