• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steevo

429bd6781ea3451fbe5e88fb702af69f.jpg

Ive owned this silhouette special for 3/4 years now, love the thing to pieces. However, the last few months its developed tuning issues. I get sharp and flat strings with trem use, even after cleaning and lubricating the nut. Im also struggling to get it in tune across the length of the neck, some chords are great, others sound way out. There is some fret wear on it but not what Id consider excessive. Ive also stripped the bridge and cleaned it, restrung and reset the intonation bit still Im getting issues.
Im going to try stripping the locking tuners down and lubricating them next, lube the nut and the trem posts and new strings. Ive been setting guitars up for years so Im pretty handy but this has got me stumped as to why all of a sudden it’s started playing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threeminutesboy

I’m sure Dr Kev can help is the Silhouette Special Master!

Hang in there ! Might be that tuners are a bit lose check this as well. As I never over tight them this is happening sometimes on my beloved musicman

steevo

Its not neck relief as its not holding tuning. Ive also found the top E string is moving along the saddle and catching on the side of the recess on the saddle causing it to sound like a sitar. I do look after the guitar, it doesnt get knocked about or mistreated so im lost as to why Ive started having issues with it. All I can do is a full strip down and check each part, clean it and make sure everything is lubricated up and no rough edges.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Sorry, Steevo. You're guitar is toast and you'll need to send it to me for proper disposal. :)

I'm sad and bored and have no social life so if you like let's set up a video chat and we can talk about this. PM me and let me know what time might suit.

fbecir

You have problems since the last few months ?
Your guitar doesn't like Brexit and want to stay European ... :rolleyes:

Good luck with your guitar, I'm sure Kevin will find a solution

steevo

Sorry, Steevo. You're guitar is toast and you'll need to send it to me for proper disposal. :)

I'm sad and bored and have no social life so if you like let's set up a video chat and we can talk about this. PM me and let me know what time might suit.

Im happy to keep it on here DrKev, at least that way if any issues get sorted from suggestions made them it might help somebody else.

Its developed an issue with the high E saddle. When you bend the string up the string moves up the saddle and sits against the notch which then causes it to buzz.
38b0d6e7116800a30e274068d42cb0d7.jpg

The picture isnt great but its the ridge where the string sits.

Its also returning sharp on the G after using the trem and then drops flat after bending the string.
Even though the frets are showing some wear I wouldnt consider it excessive enough to cause it to play out of tune.
As I said, Ive never had any tuning issues with it before, Im wondering if I have a dodgy set of strings.

V_S

Can you lower the whole tremolo and rise the saddles? I haven't seen any MM bridge with such big amount of the small hex screws visible. Maybe that will help.

steevo

Ok, Im hoping Ive sorted this now. Ive just stripped the thing down. First thing I’ve done is to round of the frets where they had worn down, I used fret erasers and they’re handy items to have around. Ive put grease in the nut and made sure it was clean before so there was no dirt of anything else which could cause any friction.
Its been strung up with slinky 10s now and ive had to shim the neck and adjust the neck relief and trem. As it stands its playing great with a nice straight neck and a fairly low action. What does concern me is that this was strung up with ernie ball cobalt 9s that hadnt been on long but died off very quick. Ive had issues with cobalts before with the ball end unwinding on the top E so I may be looking at the NYXL strings which Ive used before.
The only other issue I may still have is the top E string slipping across after a bend causing it to catch on the raised lip of the saddle. As a last resort I will have to file a groove in the saddle but I dont know why its suddenly just started doing it.
Gotta say, big kudos to EBMM for these amazing guitars. The Silo Special is the ultimate version of a strat style guitar and very underrated and under appreciated amongst the guitar playing community.
ef42744f8a017c4bcd9de3ebb5b57784.jpg

df842ad2a349440b07019a7284832b09.jpg

Top Bottom