• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

Having extreme regrets at not snapping up a Bongo 6HH in Stealth Black a couple of weeks ago. It was a great price. I was still contemplating do I really want to go down the six string route ??!?!!!??
I think missing out on this bass has decided that for me so can I get some positive encouragement from you six string players to further my GAS !!!!

five7

Bongo-check 6-check stealth-double check
If priced right-check mate

danny-79

Just do it!
I don't regularly play 6-stringers, but I kind of like them, and going on stage with an aircraft carrier size bass sure looks intimidating:)

:D never really thought about using it live. Four is definitely enough for the rock gigs.
I think I’ve been in lockdown too long, I’m listening to lots of jazz and fusion (not that that’s any relevance) :p

Last edited:

five7

I want another 6, last one I had was a spector. 11+pounds.

Chuck M

My bass is gloss black with chrome hardware. It is a killer bass. It weighs 9 pounds, 13 ounces which is on the light side for a Bongo 6. Most weigh more than my bass.

danny-79

My bass is gloss black with chrome hardware. It is a killer bass. It weighs 9 pounds, 13 ounces which is on the light side for a Bongo 6. Most weigh more than my bass.

Sounds nice. Has it got the new or old style tuners ? No hands on experience but with the old style tuners I’m predicting a bit of neck dive ?
Got any photos? :D

Chuck M

Sounds nice. Has it got the new or old style tuners ? No hands on experience but with the old style tuners I’m predicting a bit of neck dive ?
Got any photos? :D

My bass is a recent one with the new tuners. It sits fine with no neck dive.

There is only one thing about it that does not perfectly suit me and that is the neck could be a bit more narrow at the nut. The string spacing at the nut is wider than any other 6 I have owned. It measures 2.013" (outside to outside between 1st and 6th strings) and my G.Gould measures 1.884" which feels more comfortable to me. The difference is only .129" but I can really feel that it is wider. It feels...."feels" a bit slower to get around on. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I am aware of the wider spacing while I don't think of it while playing the Gould bass.

Everything else about the Bongo is fantastic. It has take me years to be able to enjoy the look of the bass but now it looks cool to me although it probably seems radical for an old guy like me to play something that revolutionary in design.

Should I PM Big Poppa about this????? Wink!

danny-79

My bass is a recent one with the new tuners. It sits fine with no neck dive.

There is only one thing about it that does not perfectly suit me and that is the neck could be a bit more narrow at the nut. The string spacing at the nut is wider than any other 6 I have owned. It measures 2.013" (outside to outside between 1st and 6th strings) and my G.Gould measures 1.884" which feels more comfortable to me. The difference is only .129" but I can really feel that it is wider. It feels...."feels" a bit slower to get around on. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I am aware of the wider spacing while I don't think of it while playing the Gould bass.

Everything else about the Bongo is fantastic. It has take me years to be able to enjoy the look of the bass but now it looks cool to me although it probably seems radical for an old guy like me to play something that revolutionary in design.

Should I PM Big Poppa about this????? Wink!

I think I was the same as most people regarding the look of the Bongo, ?!?!?!?! but then really wanted one. It took me many years to get the one I’ve got now and that’s got a nice story behind it. But they all do really! I’d either not got the funds or couldn’t find the right one when I had. That’s why I’m kicking myself over missing this one, being indecisive and missed it.

What you were saying regarding string spacing it would be nice to have the option of having it narrower, like the SLO neck equivalent.
The only thing I don’t like about Bongo necks is they are painted, I’m oil and wax all the way but happily live with it. The geometry of the four string is for me perfect

brash47

I've heard that there will be a John Myung 6 string being released....I think I read that somewhere here. If its true, then you might want to wait...if its his spec..
6 string with 5 string width neck? I hope it's true. Thats the one I'm waiting on.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Chuck M

I also own a 5 string Bongo. It was one of the ones built for GC and has a highly figured roasted neck, ebony fingerboard and Borolo (metalflake purple) finish. Yes, the painted neck is not my favorite thing about my 6 as the feel and look of the oil finished neck is more my cup of tea. Also with the oil finish any minor dents or dings are easily corrected.

danny-79

I've heard that there will be a John Myung 6 string being released....I think I read that somewhere here. If its true, then you might want to wait...if its his spec..
6 string with 5 string width neck? I hope it's true. Thats the one I'm waiting on.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I have heard the same thing regarding the five string neck, hopefully it might continue past the signature model and find it’s way to the regular Bongo6 or at least a special run

danny-79

I also own a 5 string Bongo. It was one of the ones built for GC and has a highly figured roasted neck, ebony fingerboard and Borolo (metalflake purple) finish. Yes, the painted neck is not my favorite thing about my 6 as the feel and look of the oil finished neck is more my cup of tea. Also with the oil finish any minor dents or dings are easily corrected.

Your five string, I know the colour combination, it’s one of my favourites. The dark purple with black hardware really makes the neck look warm..... very nice !

The painted neck, I only own one other none EBMM bass and that had a glossy neck that’s now oil and wax.
Can’t bring myself to strip the Bongo neck though it’s unfortunately in too good a condition and the colour match is just part of it.
So..... what I do is used a scotch pad on it just lightly, enough to take the sticky ness off it. It soon buffs back up though from playing it so no permanent harm done and for me makes it a lot more playable

wallygator

I recently got Bongo 6HH SBK. It is the most comfortable 6 I have played. I have Yamaha RBX 6JM, RBX JM2, six string fretless Harley Benton, Bongo is lightest, best sounding machine. I also tried 6 string Warwick, Yamaha TRB6JP and few others six stringers. The spacing is little bit bigger than in others, the neck seems to be thicker, but overall comfort is much better than on all other 6 stringers. The biggest thing is that when I have played very spread positions on low strings on 6 strings (1-4 fret, strings B and E) I had quickly hand fatigue, that's why few years ago I switched to SR5 as main instrument. Now Bongo replaced it as I do not have that fatigue; I have tried it on my Yamahas and it come quickly.

Top Bottom