• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DFauvre

I have many high end electric guitars. One of my all time favs is my 2016 Majesty. What year did Music Man update or make changes to the Majesty and what were they? I spoke to someone at Music Man a few weeks ago. They said the new model would have more low end so I ordered one from Sweetwater, I actually didn't find any more low end and actually prefer my 2016 so I'm returning it. I'd like to get a second Majesty, so I'd like to know what changes were made on what model years. Thanks!

tekwerk

What color is your 2016? The difference in low end would be due to either basswood or mahogany being used for the wings on either side of the center core. Mahogany will sound thicker in the low end compared to basswood.

GWDavis28

Trying to help myself choosing a color :D

attachment.php

Nice man, really well done!!!!

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Trying to keep track of changes in the JP line can be maddening, even with just the regular JP models. But, they definitely DO sell.

johnnyboogie

I have many high end electric guitars. One of my all time favs is my 2016 Majesty. What year did Music Man update or make changes to the Majesty and what were they? I spoke to someone at Music Man a few weeks ago. They said the new model would have more low end so I ordered one from Sweetwater, I actually didn't find any more low end and actually prefer my 2016 so I'm returning it. I'd like to get a second Majesty, so I'd like to know what changes were made on what model years. Thanks!

A more elaborate answer:

Like Tekwerk said, mahogany wings favor the low end frequencies whereas basswood the mid frequencies.

Then there's the pickup factor. The Majesty has used three pickup sets throughout the years. The Illuminator, Sonic Ecstasy, and Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker. The Illuminator set is the brightest of the three. The other two favor the low end a lot more. The DiMarzio website has an EQ diagram for better understanding.

DFauvre

What color is your 2016? The difference in low end would be due to either basswood or mahogany being used for the wings on either side of the center core. Mahogany will sound thicker in the low end compared to basswood.

that is what I was told by Music Man, mine does NOT have the wings. They said what you did. I ordered a new 2019 Blue Honu with I assume Mahogany wings and it does not sound thicker. I'm trying to buy one used that has the mahogany wings, when did they offer this option? What year and which models?

johnnyboogie

that is what I was told by Music Man, mine does NOT have the wings. They said what you did. I ordered a new 2019 Blue Honu with I assume Mahogany wings and it does not sound thicker. I'm trying to buy one used that has the mahogany wings, when did they offer this option? What year and which models?

All Majesties have wings. Your Blue Honu has African mahogany wings. African mahogany is also called Okume.

The website has all the specs on all models currently available. If you have a question on a discontinued model post and we'll answer.

DFauvre

I'd like a second Majesty. I love my 2016, however, I'd like one that has more low end, and I'd like it to be used. I need options of models and the year they were made that would have the mahogany wings to get the Lower tones thanks!

johnnyboogie

I'd like a second Majesty. I love my 2016, however, I'd like one that has more low end, and I'd like it to be used. I need options of models and the year they were made that would have the mahogany wings to get the Lower tones thanks!

The Artisan Majesty and the Monarchy Majesty all have mahogany wings. These two lines are discontinued.

The 2019 and 2020 Majesty colours, which are all available, have both mahogany and basswood wings depending the colour. The opaque finishes (Kinetic Blue, Stealth Black, Red Phoenix etc.) have basswood wings. The transparent finishes have mahogany wings. You can check these all out on EBMM's website.

Then there's the special BFR limited runs. These have either mahogany, basswood or alder wings depending on the model. If you're interested in one of these and cannot find the specs feel free to inquire here =)

johnnyboogie

I am so glad i am not a big fan of the JP line as the options are crazy, so much choice.

I know it may seem like a maze, but if you've followed the evolution of the guitars it's quite easy to remember the specs really =)

But yeah, if you are a newcomer it's kinda perplexing, especially since all discontinued models are not on the website and you cannot check their specs.

tekwerk

Jonnyboogie has it down! There really is something for everyone as far as tonewood options and colors go. You just need to find the version that speaks to you.

DFauvre

Ok, thank you. Can you please go to Reverb.com, and I would greatly appreciate, your sending me a link or a way to search for USED Majesty guitars that have the mahogany wings. Thank you!!! PS Assuming you find any.

"Music Man Majesty" Gear | Reverb[]=ernie-ball-music-man&make[]=music-man&condition=used

Top Bottom