• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
I bought some Power Slinky strings (50-135) and was considering putting them on the BFR Bongo in the photo below. Curious to know any thoughts, warnings, recommendations, etc. that any of you cats might have before I go stringing this thing up with a lot more tension on the neck. Many thanks in advance.

E8D33D8B-8DC1-4FF9-81FE-0CACD7A7CF1E.jpg

brash47

Its an EBMM bass. It can handle it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I realize my thread is a little old, but I reached out to Ernie Ball Musicman support and here was their response:

While the bass could handle bigger strings (we're assuming that you are tuning down?) we do recommend having a professional technician set the bass up for the bigger strings. Widening the nut slots, adjusting the truss rod and intonating the bass will all be required to ensure a proper set up. Failing to widen the nut slots will most likely damage the nut when tuned up to pitch.

danny-79

I realize my thread is a little old, but I reached out to Ernie Ball Musicman support and here was their response:

While the bass could handle bigger strings (we're assuming that you are tuning down?) we do recommend having a professional technician set the bass up for the bigger strings. Widening the nut slots, adjusting the truss rod and intonating the bass will all be required to ensure a proper set up. Failing to widen the nut slots will most likely damage the nut when tuned up to pitch.

That’s a standard disclaimer. All of it true though so if you’re asking the question then getting it set up by a tech would be a good idea.
EBMM,s ship with 100-45 gauge (four string obviously) so swapping them out for two gauges up won’t really cause you too much trouble just few tweaks to action, intonation etc. Nut slots only really need filing out to stop them splitting if you are doing a huge jump in gauge EADG-BEAD for example

Top Bottom