• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kingdoublecut

Is any one else swapping parts on their EBMM/SbMM guitars? I find myself either making swaps or really wanting to lately. I have swapped necks between SbMM LK100 guitars and even refinished one. But currently, I have both an MM Albert Lee (2017) with Rosewood neck and an LIII (2019) with a super flamey roasted maple neck that I want to swap. The AL neck is much more "59-ish" and I really am drawn to it. The LIII body is more "my thing", (I have 3 of each). I might even move the AL humbuckers to a 2017 SbMM "Luke" that already has stock Dimarzio Transition humbuckers because the AL humbuckers are better...

That leaves me "parting out" the AL body, but I am already selling one of my SbMM Lk100's as a project on Reverb - the refinished one. I just don't want to finish reassembling it now.

Just asking, I will do what I will do, but it would be interesting to know what others are up to...

beej

I don't think a lot of people have swapped major components - it's not something that comes up a lot.

I've done a bit. Years back I bought a bunch of Axis Sport necks. Put one on a Luke for a while- that was a blast. (The Luke and Axis have the same size neck pocket so that works - the AL has a larger pocket than the Luke, so you might have an issue there.)

Also swapped AL necks with another forumite- my maple for his solid RW. So I've got an ash SSS with a solid RW neck, it's pretty sweet.

Jamie M

I dont swap out parts. EBMM guitars are great straight out of the box.

Jamie M

Very interesting...the view to comment ratio on this site crazy low across all posts.

Sometimes a few comments can clear a thread up, no need for lots of replies. Some threads attract more comments than others. All part of forum life.

GWDavis28

I don't think a lot of people have swapped major components - it's not something that comes up a lot.

I've done a bit. Years back I bought a bunch of Axis Sport necks. Put one on a Luke for a while- that was a blast. (The Luke and Axis have the same size neck pocket so that works - the AL has a larger pocket than the Luke, so you might have an issue there.)

Also swapped AL necks with another forumite- my maple for his solid RW. So I've got an ash SSS with a solid RW neck, it's pretty sweet.

Beej, you forgot to mention that said forumite was Fred, super guy.

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Never really considered it, and you'll most likely find that most people here are the same way. Franken-guitars are rarely looked on favorably, and while it's your choice, if you ever choose to sell a guitar, expect to get far less due to it being non-original. If I want a luke III, I want a luke III neck on it. The body, the neck profile, the fretboard were all designed to work as a unit. I tend to think that designers know more about making a good total package guitar than I do.

gitapik

I have a Silo Special HSS and a custom ordered ’94 Silo hardtail. Got both used. The body and neck on both guitars might just as well have been fitted exclusively for me. I love those two guitars.

But I have made some changes, electronically, to the Special and may do something with the Silo, as well.

The Silent Circuit went out on me in the Special. And I was surprised to find that nobody here in NYC could repair it for me. It had to be shipped out to California. No warranty.

I considered sending it, but have to admit that, as effective as that Silent Circuit is (it really is good); I had a problem with a dead spot between the 2 and 3 toggle positions which can sometimes get problematic when gigging and making a quick tonal change. It’s part of the design…so something you just have to learn to live with and “get around”.

So I set it up as a standard 5 way switch (no super switch), instead. Put an Area 61 and 58 into the neck and middle, respectively, and put a Tyler “Secret” humbucker in the bridge.

The guitar sounds fantastic and there’s no longer a dead spot. My only beef is that the 2 position has a bit of hum to it. This wouldn’t be an issue if I’d used a DiMarzio humbucker…which I may do in the future. But I love the way this Tyler balances with the singles…so I’m sticking with it for now. Could’ve wired it differently as is, but the *quack* wouldn’t have been near as good that way. I love this guitar. It’s my goto.

The ’94 Silo came with a custom finish (translucent butterscotch) and a Tele config faceplate. Barden’s “Danny Gatton” pickups. It’s a wonderful sound but I’m not as much of a Tele guy as Strat and LP…so I got an HSH and HHH faceplate and am considering outfitting one or the other (probably the HSH) and doing a swap. But not quite ready to do it. I really want to do all I can to see if I can find that sweet spot with the rig as is. Don’t think I quite have that Tele spank sound in my system, yet, and it might be a nice feel and technique to develop.

So, yes: I’ll make changes to the electronics of my MMs. Don’t feel the need to do anything else, though. Beautifully built guitars.

kingdoublecut

Wasn't aware of the neck pocket difference - hadn't taken any measurements yet. I find the thicker RW neck much more comfortable. I would love to swap my flamey LIII neck for a thicker RW LIII neck if that is allowed for a newby like me. Here is a pic from the original Reverb ad. My AL is approx. .875" at the first fret and my LIII is approx. .75".

I have the LIII listed on Reverb right now but would sell the AL instead if I could get a thicker RW neck for the LIII.

Attachments

• LIII.jpg
    LIII.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69

msquared

Wasn't aware of the neck pocket difference - hadn't taken any measurements yet. I find the thicker RW neck much more comfortable. I would love to swap my flamey LIII neck for a thicker RW LIII neck if that is allowed for a newby like me. Here is a pic from the original Reverb ad. My AL is approx. .875" at the first fret and my LIII is approx. .75".

I have the LIII listed on Reverb right now but would sell the AL instead if I could get a thicker RW neck for the LIII.
How funny, I came back to the forums to ask if anyone had ever bought a neck from EBMM because I have a LIII with a rosewood neck that I wish was a roasted maple.

DM me if you're interested in a neck swap!

Top Bottom