• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jasonk931

Hey guys. I have a 2019 Sterling Luke blueberry burst that I came into recently. I have already replaced the saddles with graph tech saddles, the nut with graph tech black tusq, and the tuners with gotoh with rosewood buttons. It looks amazing. Pickups are meh and the wiring and pots are garbage. I am desperately looking for a wiring diagram of the pickups on the Luke. North start etc... also, does anyone anywhere make a wiring harness for these? Also, where does one buy the push push pot with boost mode. I’m dropping Burstbucker 61’s in it.

Last edited:

jasonk931

Sounds like you should have bought a different guitar to begin with....

I go the guitar for free and absolutely love it, but I also build guitars and like certain appointments when I play them. This is going to be swiss army knife for my travel gigs. Just wondering about the harness most of all. I can build it, but would love to find a stock version or someone who can make them better. Wiring has never been my strong point. The feel of the Luke is perfection. By the end of t since I had most of the parts in my work bench, I'll have maybe $200 in a very playable/usable guitar.

jasonk931

I'd be willing to check with him. Honestly, I've never seen anything like the hide and seek mode of EBMM when it comes to securing replacement parts that are a little deeper like preamps etc. I understand their want to keep it pure and not so sourced out, but man, it's a little MI6 in nature! lol! Since I got this guitar for free pretty much, I will basically bring it up to the Musicman luke iii level. Thanks for any help. Send me his info...huge thanks!

beej

There's no deep mystery- historically, MM hasn't sold proprietary parts. Beyond being a competitive differentiator, I'm sure they don't want to see Frankensteins on the used market. (Resulting in disappointed buyers who then complain about a guitar that wasn't really a MM.)

With regards to the LIII electronics ... you've got the buffer, boost, and relative boosting for the parallel pickup positions. If you're looking to replicate that, a good starting place would be something like the Jack Orman buffer circuits on a PCB. There's an Opamp and a Jfet version. I've used these in guitars, and as stand-alone buffers- they work great and are tiny.

AMZ Opamp Buffer/Booster Module

You could use this as a buffer, and for volume boots. You'd have to use one set of poles from the switch to patch in resistors for the volume bumps in the parallel positions (I'd use trimpots), and a push/pull or push/pull switch to engage another resistor for the master volume boost.

It's a project, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to get working. If you can find somebody handy with electronics to help you out, this would be a great starting point.

jasonk931

I finished up my Luke with new tighter and better Pots, Gibson 61 Pickups, Graphtech saddles, Gotoh Locking Tuners and rosewood appointments on KNobs, Switch, and Tuner Buttons I had in my guitar shop. This thing sings and just feels right! Pics coming...

jasonk931

fullsizeoutput-37ef.jpg

fullsizeoutput-37e8.jpg

IMG-0606.jpg

fullsizeoutput-37ec.jpg

fullsizeoutput-37e5.jpg

Top Bottom