• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

badusername

Hey all,

New to the forum but I've just curious about the difference between these two basses (Music Man SUB and the SBMM SUB). I know one is Made in USA, and the other in Indonesia, and the USA version has the better preamp.

My dilemma is that I've been offered the option of buying either of these basses used. The Sterling version comes up at a third of the price of the USA. Is the USA version THAT much better to warrant that much of a price gap, in terms of overall build quality and sound?

I'd be happy with a sound that would get me that growly, low action clang. Probably will get a lot of flack for this but one of my favorite bass tones is that of Mark Hoppus from blink-182, and I know he uses a Stingray on their early records. Can I get that tone with the SBMM or should I splurge for the Music Man?

danny-79

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The original SUB bass from the early 00’s were/are basically a cheap EBMM made from genuine left over parts and just not as refined around the edges (quite literally!). Production was halted because they were too good a value basically. If you own one today the odds are it’s worth more now than when it was new regardless of condition (within reason)

Regarding the SBMM basses they are offered from very affordable entry level basses up to the more refined models. (You could easily get a second hand, used, genuine EBMM for what you would pay for a new SBMM)

So if you have the option of getting an original version sub go for that or look out for genuine used. That’s where my £££ is

Golem

@badusername

You say the dif is 3X the price and acoarst that sounds huge ... until you state it as dollars. 200 v 600 ? 250 v 750 ?

Yes the EB version is worth that many extra dollars. The special “Cinnamon” color can cost extra. Most subs came with a unique to subs sooper uglee silver PG so if it’s got a tort, abalone, etc replacement PG that may cost extra.

You mention the preamp. Make sure it has one. The most basic sub was passive.

Sold my first sub loooong ago for 300 and a few years ago it cost me 600 to undo my own stupidity. The bass gods have seen to it that I keep this one forever. Turns out it was built on my birthday. I’m afeared to consider what will befall me if ever I were to part with it !

Last edited:

Golem

After you buy the EB sub you’re gonna ask what strings it wants. Don’t ask us ... ask the ax. Just put your ear right up against the body wood and you will hear it whispering: “Coooobaaaaalt .... Neeeed Coooobaaaalt”. OBEY !!!

Last edited:

badusername

The difference was about 300 vs 900...anyways, I went for the EBMM. Part of me knew that if I didn't, I'd just pine for the "real deal" more and more, plus the real deal themselves (like mainline Stingrays) are even MORE expensive. I'm super happy with this version, all white with the tried and true 2-band preamp.

On the note of strings @Golem, I have played Cobalts before but wasn't a huge fan, so likely just Slinkys on this one. Which leads me to my next question - what gauge of strings came standard on these? Anyone know?

Thanks for your input all! Might share some pics soon.

Golem

Keep the og one in the closet. I vote tort in this case.
While tort is my usual fave, the idea of the white body with a black neck and head plus a black PG is irresistible. Get a black strap to go along with the idea or even a black and white strap.

danny-79

Black would be my first choice too. White body, Black neck.
Tort has its place but not on that combo.
(Just my opinion :p )

danny-79

(I should really post a link in the correct sticky but there is a Blue USA SUB5, active, for sale on eBay atm if anyone in the UK is interested. It’s caught my eye but I’m a little tapped due to recent purchases)

mouth

Sorry for the late response... perhaps some of you can advise on my pickguaurd dilemma - do I a) stay with the og one b) go black or c) tort?

This is also my segway into posting pics of this bass

USA SUB Bass - Album on Imgur

Black all the way. That tort looks awful, like most modern tort does - brownish, rusty, cheap salami looking, ugly swirls, nothing like the 60s (or even 70s) tort. The only really good looking tort that you can get nowadays is the Spitfire tort, but it costs quite a bit of $$.

Black all the way.

Top Bottom