• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Gio_Force_One

I’m looking at Lukes and I used own one of the true gold Luke’s with rosewood necks years ago and sold it. One has come up for sale and I’m torn between buying that or a Luke 3. I know I can get a Luke 3 anyway but the true golds don’t come up for sale often . What do you guys think ?

GWDavis28

Well that's a tough one, the Olive Gold are cool, but the True Gold is pretty nice as well. I guess it comes down to which pickups are going to work best for you? Or get them both ;).

Glenn |B)

Gio_Force_One

Well that's a tough one, the Olive Gold are cool, but the True Gold is pretty nice as well. I guess it comes down to which pickups are going to work best for you? Or get them both ;).

Glenn |B)
yes both crossed my mind but that would be expensive. I like the emg set I have a set in an old strat. ive never tried the transition pickups.

GWDavis28

yes both crossed my mind but that would be expensive. I like the emg set I have a set in an old strat. ive never tried the transition pickups.

Sounds like you might need to see what Pete has in stock and take a little trip over to Conn.

Glenn |B)

Virtuoso

I have a Luke II True Gold and a Luke III Bodhi Blue both with rosewood necks. I definitely prefer the True Gold!!

SilosRock

Thanks gforce013! Not to hijack your thread but I've been wanting a LUKE III/ Rosewood neck for awhile and we'll... Just pulled the trigger a few hours ago:). Good luck my friend! Wish it were an Olive Gold but I'll settle for black:)

Gio_Force_One

Thanks gforce013! Not to hijack your thread but I've been wanting a LUKE III/ Rosewood neck for awhile and we'll... Just pulled the trigger a few hours ago:). Good luck my friend! Wish it were an Olive Gold but I'll settle for black:)

No worries at all However the guitar doesn’t exist without pictures!!!!!

There was a black L3 on reverb with a rosewood neck for a decent hope you grabbed that. I looked at that one too.

SilosRock

No worries at all However the guitar doesn’t exist without pictures!!!!!

There was a black L3 on reverb with a rosewood neck for a decent hope you grabbed that. I looked at that one too.

Yes sir! That would be the one. Been waiting for an Olive Gold to pop up at a price point I feel is worth it but nada. Good luck on the True Gold... Beautiful color!

Will def post pics once in my possession:)

tbonesullivan

TRUE GOLD is an incredible color. Honestly much better than "Tumescent", which Is a color I don't understand at all.

Magic Jason

Colour aside, I've tried and owned a "regular" luke III, a bfr luke III and 3 (long story) Olive Gold Luke III and these always sounded better to my ears. Probably a bit sweeter. (Which may not be what others prefer.) This Olive Gold-rosewood neck combo has some dark magic built into it!

Gio_Force_One

My vote is True Gold because of the rosewood neck. I'll have a few of the new L3 colors arriving in a couple weeks.

Pete i originally bought my true gold from you on 2012 but sold it because I needed the money at the time. I also was paying my Morse most the time so that was the one to go. Now I’m down sizing my guitars and really picking out what I play and what I don’t. I just wanted that Luke back , the color is my favorite one.

JasonT

I had a True Gold Luke and really liked it. The rosewood neck was fantastic and it just played great. However, I’ve always been a passive pickup guy and when the LIII came out, I just preferred the sound of the LIII and it also had a rosewood neck. For me, the tone of the pups was more important. But, if the color is the most important thing, then get the True Gold Luke. Life’s too short. Get what you want.

Gio_Force_One

I had a True Gold Luke and really liked it. The rosewood neck was fantastic and it just played great. However, I’ve always been a passive pickup guy and when the LIII came out, I just preferred the sound of the LIII and it also had a rosewood neck. For me, the tone of the pups was more important. But, if the color is the most important thing, then get the True Gold Luke. Life’s too short. Get what you want.

There also a bodhi blue one I was thinking of getting instead of the true gold. Yes I love the color and it played great but I can’t remember how much I like the emgs. I might prefer the DiMarzio a instead.

JasonT

There also a bodhi blue one I was thinking of getting instead of the true gold. Yes I love the color and it played great but I can’t remember how much I like the emgs. I might prefer the DiMarzio a instead.

The EMG-X pups tonally fall in between active and passive. To my ears, they sounded a little more natural (passive) than the regular EMGs, but not quite as organic as passive pups.

What specs are most important to you?

Top Bottom